Vic Police Adjust Mobile Speed Camera Rules;cameras To Be Concealed

timetaker

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 5m 6d

All I can say is that I'm not surprised, really.

Statistics can easily be shaped to suit the purpose, as well... I'd like to know the specific conditions of those statistic gatherings, I'll see if I can remember to remind you :)

On another note, I did some research a while ago regarding fatality/injury statistics and the causes behind them. Speed is so rarely the cause that it's not even listed on the statistics. There's no doubt that excessive speed can cause problems, but it's usually some other factor (distraction, fatigue, drunk, drugs, medical treatment etc) that causes the injury/fatality. I might have to dig up that research again.

• Like 1

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 21d

The key point in all the stats that I can find is that speed related incidents are all amalgamated in to one figure, that includes people exceeding the posted limit and those travelling too fast for the conditions (that could be well under the posted limit).

Speed cameras have absolutely no impact on the later but no govt will release the finer stats as it may not suit the agenda.

I could sail past a fixed speed camera doing 110 km/h in pouring rain and not get a fine and run up the arse of a car and cause a 10 vehicle pile-up. But doing 115 km/h on the same road in fine conditions is apparently reckless and deserves a fine.

The whole setup is fcken backwards.

BTW have tried countless times getting details on this out of the Qld govt and get stonewalled, current response has been outstanding for about six months.

• Like 2

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 15d

Speed rarely is the cause.. But it is a contributor to the severity of the crash.. So when they say speed related fatalities sometimes it is in reference to a crash that may have only been a hospitalisation if the speed suited the conditions..

It's a really really conflicted field of study.. Because it's so hard to determine what factors led to an accident, what factors determined its severity etc..

One day cars will have black boxes and we'll be able to start answering questions :-P

Edit: just read tabs post..

It's worth noting that a lot of the finer stats don't actually exist tab.. Most of the stats are compiled from police reports and the forensic crash unit doesn't get sent out to every single road accident..

Edited by Slightly Depressed Panda

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 21d

But if anyone was serious about it they'd collect them wouldn't they?

And then it all comes back to driver education and visible enforcement of proper driving standards.

• Like 1

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 15d

Yeah.. But there is always a massive level of cost involved with that level of data collection..

I don't agree with hiding the things.. But I also agree that a lot more goes into determining speed limits than people understand..

Even the NT trial is the subject of much debate..

• Member For: 11y 8m 29d

its about time the general public start standing up to state governments because this is just political stunt for some pc type vote if and someone stand up there called hoons the real problem is driver training and road quality eg least telegraph pole side road more over taking lane, no right lane hogs doing 101km/h with cruise control on overtaking another car doing 100km/h. frustrated driver cause accidents to eg double demerits points weekends the road looks like long train of cars doing the speed limit scared of over taking due the fines

Edited by seagull
  • Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 6m 21d

Usually not even doing the speed limit - the number of people sitting under 90km/r because their speedo says they're doing 100 is unreal.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 25d

NEW rules allowing mobile speed cameras to be hidden behind trees, bushes and posts last night caused a ruckus at Glen Eira Council, with councillors divided over whether they should try to stymie them.

Cr Jim Magee tried, and failed, to have officers investigate "options available to councils'' to stop Victoria Police using council land to operate concealed mobile cameras.

His request for a report was knocked back after fierce debate, including claims it could be seen to be pitting the council against the State Government and police.

Cr Magee argued that hiding speed cameras would do nothing to save lives.

"If police want to hide cameras … we'll be constantly looking for cameras,'' he said.

"I'm only asking to stop concealed cameras, not all cameras.''

Mayor Jamie Hyams refused to back the move, declaring he would not support something that could hinder police in their efforts to bring down the road toll.

Deputy Mayor Oscar Lobo declared Victoria was becoming "like KGB'' and Cr Michael Lipshutz said he did not want police "lurking behind bushes''.

Chief executive Andrew Newton said he suspected the most likely outcome was that there would be no options.

The new rules - announced yesterday and effective immediately - allow mobile speed cameras to be hidden behind trees, bushes, posts and road signs to lessen the risk of harm to camera operators from angry motorists.

They also allow them to be used at the bottom of hills and on slopes.

Traffic Superintendent Dean McWhirter told the Herald Sun the changes were made to offer protection for mobile speed camera operators.

The previous policy stated that "under no circumstances'' were cameras to be concealed by any covert means.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/central/glen-eira-councillor-launches-bid-to-stop-police-using-council-land-for-concealed-mobile-cameras/story-fngnvlpt-1226740793845