Must. Have. Traction!

The Kerb Warrior

• Spooling Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 13d

Yeah has SSL front / SSSL rear, didn't notice any traction difference but hadn't driven it much when not lowered

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 12y 3m 24d

I've got 19" 245 Wide Michelin Pilot Super Sports, suspension has King Spring Lows and factory struts. Very good grip with 300rwkw in a FG, Excellent Tyres, grips all gears very well and when there is wheel spin it is very minimal.

More stable and grippy under power in corners aswell and better steering feel and response.

Edited by Z2TT

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 28d

Recently put michelin pilot super sports 275 30 19 on the back of my fg 323rwkw. They are a bit noisy but great traction.

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 3d

The only way you will get traction in 1st gear with a 400+kw car is if the boost is gently fed in.

Tyres play a big part but the tune also has a lot to do with it.

I'm running Hankook Ventus RS3's and now that the weather has warmed up they contain 2nd and 3rd gear very well for the way my boost is ramped in.

You need to work out what you want and adjust your tune to suit.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 11m 24d

I want the boost to come on hard, but smooth if that makes sense (doesn't everyone!). I don't want it as a MASSIVE hit after its kicked back and lagged for almost 2 seconds. I want it smooth and gradual, but being smooth and gradual and hitting boost as quick as possible keeping that in mind. My old BFII phoon's tune was like that, and I absolutely looooooved the way the power came on. It was quick but really smooth, so when you were already cruising in say 3rd at anything over 2500rpm, the second your foot hit the throttle it was instant. When I belted it from a stand start in first, it came on hard but was very smooth, so you felt the boost build up. I guess that was accentuated also because being a BFII I personally feel a huge difference in bottom end power (mainly before boost has even come in) between them and the FG's because of the engine. Even my brothers stock FG F6 took off way better than my old BFII phoon that had over 450rwhp.

So basically, I want it to boost up as quick as possible, for it to still be really smooth.

Think im gonna go some 18's, staggered rears, 245 fronts and 275 rears in Invo's all round.

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 3d

The FG is a higher comp engine and also has better intake and exhaust manifolds so they are much better than the BA/F.

These cars are no featherweights so traction becomes an issue at low speeds and especially from a standstill as there is so much weight to move the relatively small footprint is always going to struggle.

There are cars that weigh half of what our cars do that come out with wider wheels, this has been a let down from Ford for as long as I can remember.

• Member For: 12y 3m 24d

Perhaps some sort of tuning should be done for boost control in 1st gear to limit it just a little bit so you don't always get to the point where the tyres begin spinning.

My FG Comes on hard on full throttle at times and the Michelins just keep the car going forward, Tyres are the best upgrade I've done in my car.

But at other times it just decides to lag and bring on power very slowly even with TRC off which I don't like, it's like it has a mind of it's own. I was thinking whether it was the Autobox tuning that doesn't always kick the car down to the right gear for max torque or something else.

Edited by Z2TT