Air Box Restrictor (Remove Or Keep)

g5jett

• Member For: 12y 3m 7d

Hi All,

I have a 2008 fg xr6 and noticed the restrictor in the top section of the air box..

I have done a bit of looking and can’t seem to find much factual info. One the people that have removed them and the affects or even why ford actually put this restrictor there in the first place..??

If anyone can shed some light on the subject with either facts of personal experience it would be much appreciation..

If ford put this in place purely to reduce induction noise I’m not worried about the noise as long as there is some kind in performance gain to be had and no damage at all to the car I’m happy to remove

Cheers..

• Member For: 12y 10m 5d

I doubt you could measure the power gain with any form of precision ---- maybe 0.001 KW??? - its there for induction noise suppression. Just run the car on 95 octane or 98 octane fuel - that will boost torque and power. The air systems on these cars are very efficient.

After reading further into a couple of post's up on other forums the people that have taken this restrictore out are saying they saw a big improvement in response and that it was a completly diffrent car compaired to before hand.. making me lean toward taking this "restrictor"

out now ....

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m

The brain telling you there is a gain and having an actual gain from something like that could be quite desceptive.

I would like to see some actual before and after results of a gain before believing that.

• Member For: 12y 10m 5d

Me too. A load of noise and some "whoopee" in the drivers seat means nothing. But, g5jett, its your car so you decide - but have think about this as a tested fact. BF series 2 XR6 turbo with light modifications dynoed with factory F6 air system made 240rwkw. The whole air box system was removed and a piece of pvc pipe connected to the crossover and ran out of the engine bay. Two more runs. Not ONE RWKW recorded on the dyno. The three graphs were identical. The stock BF F6 airbox does not look that special and mine sure does not have some sort of "cyclone blaster air turbulence ultra-cone" filter in it because at the power level and a bit above, what is there works really well

The factory air systems are efficient. If you want to do something to your car that will guaranteed make power - get it retuned to run on 98 octane fuel. That will see it pick up both torque and power.

Anyway - if all this helps you as a modifier, then the forum has succeeded. Its your car and your call.

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 28d

Take the air box off completely. A bit of dust won hurt it.

LOL at Henz!!

Yea I know its non-turbo ect ect..

But just thought I’d ask all your opinion’s..

And I appreciate all of your response’s cheers!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 4m 27d

I tryed it and it did nothing except made the air intake a bit louder enoying so put it back in.

You might as well just leave it in there.

I have something you can stick in your air intake to improve performance I tryed to give it away to Freaky but he wouldn't be in it