Battery Charging - Oddysey Pc925

FAST-XR

• EVIL T
  • Member For: 15y 9m 11d

Hi all,

Having issues with my Oddysey PC925 battery.

Still cranks over perfectly. But if I leave the car on accessories only with the car not running for more than 1minute, the battery goes flat and I cant start the car, otherwise it starts every time.

Does this battery require charging? if so does it require a trickle charge or a ful charge?

I have a supercheap charger, 12V 4800mA, is this suitable for the job?

it says that its suitable for gel and deep cycle batteries, but not sure if it need to be fast charge or trickle.

any advice would be appriciated

thanks alot

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 28d

Your stuck using the float charge in the battery which is typically only 15 to 20% of the total capacity in the battery.

The alternator in our cars are not capable of charging these batteries to full capacity due to the loads the car places on the system. It becomes even worse with the later variable charge models.

have a read here

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/files/techbook.pdf pg 11 onwards

It details the effects parasitc load (ie alarm systems) has on the batteries and the correct way to charge them.

from the data

PC925 21/2 hr = 10amps 11/4 hr =20amps. Your 4.8 amp charger doesn't have enough grunt to fully charge the battery.

• Member For: 11y 5m 9d

Might be time for a new one but I'd try charging it first.

I highly recommend ctek battery chargers, they're around $90 on eBay.

It has multiple stages for deep charge then does trickle for maintenance and you can leave it on for months and it won't cook the battery.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorculture mobile app

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

Ctek's are good maintenance chargers but unless you can pump 10+ amps into the battery all you'll be doing is topping up the float not deep charging to full capacity

EDIT: to clarify my statment, anything smaller than an MXT14 will not fully charge a PC925

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

Will only partially charge it. You'll find if you charge it overnight on 4.8amps it iwll start fine, but if you hold your foot flat so the car will crank and not start you'll flatten the battery in 10 to 15 seconds.

If you don't have access to a 10amp charger see if a local autospark will let you charge the car on there's. It will only take 2.5 to 3hrs to fully charge @ 10amps

That Ctek MXS10 is only rated to charge a 200ah battery, the PC925 is a 280 ah.

If the OP gets the battery fully charged @ 10amps and then plugs the MXS10 in every night it will maintain the charge but if the battery becomes discharged it wont be able to fully charge it.

• EVIL T
  • Member For: 15y 9m 11d

yeah it looks like ill have to get a 10amp charger.

I dont understand how it still has the cranking power to start the car on the 1st crank ervery time, but it cant sustain a current draw from a radio for a couple of mins?