New Car, Comes With Sct Tuner.

pyrox41

• Member For: 11y 3m 29d

Hey guys, just recently purchased a Bf XR6T, came with a xforce 2.5 catback and a growler kit, and also a brand new SCT tuner, as well as some aftermarket tail lights, and had a few questions.

When I opened the tuner box, there is a piece of paper saying for ba/bf models spark plugs have to have a gap of 0.75mm. Is this stock (I'm assuming not) and could I do this myself? Never changed spark plugs before.

The tail lights look pretty good, but somehow a little bit of water has found its way into them and now they fog up. Any way to remove it and keep it out?

Also on the topic of fuel, I figure on the tune I will be using 98 (already am atm). How do these cars respond to E10/91, for emergency purposes.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 15d

You can regap your plugs or you can buy new plugs re-gapped. I think stock gap is 1.1mm

There's some tinting tutorials on the forum, if you heat them up in an oven (VERY carefully) and the lens will come off and you can dry it out but good chance it'll happen again cause they're cheaply made

My FG says e10 compatible, not sure if BF was.

Oh and if that tuner has pre-loaded tunes don't waste your time or money. Go get a custom tune using it but do some research on what goals you want first so you know what mods to do at the same time to save some $$

• Member For: 11y 3m 29d

Thanks. How much would new ones cost, I think gapping might be the cheaper option.

I'm pretty sure its a SCT X3 tuner (says part no 3000AU). For the moment all I want I just a tune for current setup, why would the preloads be a waste of time or money if I have it already?

• Member For: 18y 4m 7d

E10 fuel can be used but it must match the minimum octane rating of the car.

Running lower octane fuel in the car compared to what it was tuned on can lead to engine damage and a damaged bank account

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 9d

How much is your car worth to you? The last thing you want is a blown engine. For what it's worth go for a custom tune. You're paying for improved performance, improved economy and peace of mind.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 15d

Have a bit of read around the forum mate. I think one guy on here runs a generic tune safely and that's because he monitors his air-fuel ratio etc. But in saying that theres probably more to be had out of the car with a custom tune

Generic tunes can often make the car go boom so up to you whether you want to pay $700 for a custom tune or $3k+ when your motor goes on the generic tunes

• Member For: 11y 6m 8d

My car is currently on a generic tune, however I baby the sh*t out of it as I am waiting for the extra $$ for more mods, exhaust, intercooler, turbo side intake, surge tank etc.

Basically with a generic tune don't flog it, listen carefully, monitor oil, fuel to air and set up data logging on the sct to keep an eye on it. They are a part time gig only.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 6m 1d

I'm assuming your X3 came from intune, there are plenary of mixed stories on his generic tunes, but I am using it with NO problems.

The plugs Need to be gapped to 0.75mm otherwise you'll have problems with spark blowout and such. It's easy to do with a set of filler gauges. the coil packs can be abit hard to get out if they haven't been taken out before, but you will work it out with some common sense.

You NEED to use 98 octane fuel and I wouldn't muck around with anything else.

In saying all this, I would highly recommend a better intercooler kit to keep the IAT down, this will definitely help in reducing the chance of detonation while running the generic tune.

Cheers, Joe

Edited by Peppy_t92

• I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6d

What's the point in getting a generic tune if you can't flog it? May a swell keep it standard so you can

• Member For: 11y 6m 8d

Making it drivable in between major mods you perform yourself. That way the tow truck man doesn't have to take some of your money and you also save on labour costs