Notchy Shifting In Bf T56

FAST-XR

• EVIL T
  • Member For: 15y 9m 11d

in the last couple of weeks shifing has become very notchy and very hard to get into reverse.

Currently running mal wood option3 plus, installed about 45,000 kms ago, car has done 100,000 kms

my first point of call will be gearbox oil change, followed by clutch fluid change

is castrol transmax z is still the prefered oil of choice these days?

anything else I should take a look at while im at it?

thanks

• EVIL T

had issues getting into reverse this morning, took me at least 10 atempts to get it in. I just couldnt get it in the gate.

also noticing that the pedal travel has deteriated and seams to be engaging just off the floor, I think its been gradual and only I noticed it now becuase of the issues.

does this seem fluid and temp related? or mechanical issue?

• Menace
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 30d

I would say give it a quick bleed but that's a *beep* of a job without the hose extension. Do you know if it has the bleeder hose? Usually comes with the clutch u bought.

Has it been using clutch fluid or is it black and full of gunk in the little reservoir?

• EVIL T

yeah I spent the little extra and got the braided bleed kit, have not checked the fluid yet, will give me something to do this weekend!

• Member For: 12y 9m 7d

Just off the floor - might be mech issue - Any fluid loss in the clutch fluid reservoir? If yes, have a look at the master cylinder for any leaks. (they aren't cheap if they ares tuffed) Then go underneath and pull out the little inspection panel at the front of the bellhousing and see if there is any fluid in there.

If you don't want to bleed the system, you MIGHT get away with pumping the pedal about 30-40 times and hoping that any air bubbles might go into the fluid reservoir. This used to work occasionally in the old skool systems..

A 100 opinions on gear oils. But dex 3 or transmax z seems to be ok. Dex 3 is budget..

• EVIL T

just checked my clutch fluid.... empty!

have not seen any fluid on the floor, none under the dash, will check bell housing and hose connections when I get home.

• Menace
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 30d

I had to replace my clutch slave cyl. not so long ago. New ones aren't too dear from mw just a pita to swap out.

Def try the fluid 1st may have to top it up a few times but if the problem sticks more than likely your csc is weeping