Actuator Sticky ?

OzTEXS

• Member For: 17y 6m 13d

Hi all,

Just bought a 2002 XR6 Turbo from ebay and one of the stated issues is "Actuator Sticky (opening and closing only under boost)"

Can anyone shed any light as to how I will go about fixing this and maybe the costs involved if anyone has had this issue before.

PS: yes, I have done a searcg but wasnt able to confirm if same issue.

• Member For: 19y 9m 10d
If the actuator is sticky the turbo is unable to bleed boost from the system when directed by the engine management computers.

The result is that:

1- at lower revs and throttle openings the boost continues to build and the engine develops significantly more torque than normal. You might find that on cold mornings traction seems to be a bit off and the rear end is a bit squiggly. When tooling around in the traffic just minding your own business, at 2-3000 rpm and light throttle openings you may notice the strange sight of previous version AMG63 and 911's making lots and lots of engine noise, and, somehow disappearing in the rear vision mirror rather briskly.

2- at slightly higher revs you may see - even more exotic cars going backwards, likely accompanied by backfiring and the sight of your engine components strewn across the road.

Ford cannot sell you the actuator. Ford can only sell you the complete turbo assembly at something like $7,500. This is not really a problem as Ford are clearly signally that they do not want to stock masses of this component and so they keep a couple of units in the warehouse to comply with parts supply legislation and then price them at a level so that no one will ever deplete the stock.

You should therefore go elsewhere for your actuator, like the people who developed and sold the turbo and actuator to Ford in the first instance, Garrett. You can buy the Garrett OEM actuator as supplied to Ford for about $150 delivered.

Do not be tempted to use another higher boost actuator. Use of this type of acutar without the appropriate tuning and parts might result in a repeat of scenarios one and two above.

Edited by aiboart

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

I would be very very surprised if your problem is actually a sticky actuator, old mate probably couldn't find the fault so he flogged the car off on eBay.

If the actuator is sticky the turbo is unable to bleed boost from the system when directed by the engine management computers.
The result is that:
1- at lower revs and throttle openings the boost continues to build and the engine develops significantly more torque than normal. You might find that on cold mornings traction seems to be a bit off and the rear end is a bit squiggly. When tooling around in the traffic just minding your own business, at 2-3000 rpm and light throttle openings you may notice the strange sight of previous version AMG63 and 911's making lots and lots of engine noise, and, somehow disappearing in the rear vision mirror rather briskly.
2- at slightly higher revs you may see - even more exotic cars going backwards, likely accompanied by backfiring and the sight of your engine components strewn across the road.
Ford cannot sell you the actuator. Ford can only sell you the complete turbo assembly at something like $7,500. This is not really a problem as Ford are clearly signally that they do not want to stock masses of this component and so they keep a couple of units in the warehouse to comply with parts supply legislation and then price them at a level so that no one will ever deplete the stock.
You should therefore go elsewhere for your actuator, like the people who developed and sold the turbo and actuator to Ford in the first instance, Garrett. You can buy the Garrett OEM actuator as supplied to Ford for about $150 delivered.
Do not be tempted to use another higher boost actuator. Use of this type of acutar without the appropriate tuning and parts might result in a repeat of scenarios one and two above.

I hope your right and I can get away with a $150 part !

othewise I got a lemon !

so picked up the car last night .. he told me his mechanic is suggesting its the actuator

I drove the car and when boosting it stutters and cuts out .. iam sure this can be something else as well ??

mate, I dont want to say the price in case I advertise it here after fixing this issue ! :)