Do I Need Shortened Shocks For Ssl Rears

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 14d

Having recently fitted King SSL front and rear springs with OEM shocks that are 20000kms old, I would strongly advise changing the OEM shocks at the same time as fitting the springs.

While the car does ride ok and is a bit firmer, it is clear that the shocks are out of their optimal operating parameters and do not "absorb" shocks no where near as well as they did with stock springs. Also the car can be a bit bouncy especially when more than one passenger is on-board.

Not terrible, but definitely not good either.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 12y 8m 9d

My BA is standard shocks and springs all round, I just want to flatten the rear end slightly without going to town replacing everything. Has anyone gone SSL springs in the rear and left the front standard?

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 29d

Just fit an SL to the rear, SSL in the rear and standard in the front will settle un-even.

The SL in the rear won't change much to start with, but once they settle it will be even

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 2d

I thought that sl was the same height as xr6 standard springs?

And to drop it approx 25mm you had to put ssl in?

So if you wanted to level the rear end with the standard front you would need ssl rears?

And to lower the whole car and make it level all round you would need ssl front and sssl rear

Or am I one "s" too low?

• Member For: 12y 8m 9d

that's what I thought too.. Also based on previous experience with kings, they tend to sit lower in the front and never seem quite low enough at the rear.

A 20mm drop in the rear would be ideal to match where the front currently sits. I'm getting diff bushes done anyway and was thinking a pair of SL or SSL might have to go in at the same time. Hey if I find I have made a terrible mistake and it's dragging it's ass like a Bankstown/Lakemba SSS pulsar, I could always put some SL in the front to fix it up.

Thanks guys.