Apple Ipod Thread (Merged Topic)

Velvet Glove

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 12d

I will be getting my FG GT-E shortly and would like to use the included iPod adaptor.

The problem is, I do not like the iTunes software and also have an old 20Gb iPod Photo, will this work ?

I also listen to the radio most of the time, so it is more for the kids songs and road trip music.

Is there any other MP3 player that uses the iPod interface, so I can use all the iPod features ?

If not what would be the best iPod to get that does not do anything but play music, has about 8Gb of storage and is compatible with the FG.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 19d

Pretty sure the Ipod connection is exclusive to the Ipod Mal.

If you want to get another one, look at the new 8Gb Nano or a Classic. (Not sure on compatibility though, I haven't found a list from Ford yet...)

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 1d

From the Ford website...

iPod nano 3rd generation (video) – 4GB, 8GB;

iPod classic – 80GB, 160GB;

iPod touch – 8GB, 18GB;

iPod nano 2nd generation (aluminium) – 2GB, 4GB, 8GB;

iPod – 30GB, 60GB, 80GB

Let us know what you go with, I was looking but just settled with MP3 CD’s.

Couldn’t be bothered considering it’s going to be uploaded once and only removed from the car every few months to update it.

Otherwise you've got the standard 3.5mm audio jack but will obviously forgo the control via ICC.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 12d

Thanks for the suggestions.

So the new FG will play MP3 CD's ? So I can have 160 odd songs x 6 CD's ? If so then I will not bother with the iPod.

I have not used iTunes for a while now, but the thing I dislike is the way that iTunes arranges my songs. I have 85,000 songs and do not want iTunes to create a copy in the itunes directory.

I would rather just a normal MP3 player that I can copy my music and create playlists. My iPod photo has not been updated for 3 years.

Pity they do not have a USB input rather than the iPod.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 1d
I have not used iTunes for a while now, but the thing I dislike is the way that iTunes arranges my songs. I have 85,000 songs and do not want iTunes to create a copy in the itunes directory.

fark, that's a lot of songs. I have around 7500 songs on a 80g Ipod Classic and it works fine in the FG.

not sure that iTunes actually creates a copy of the songs as such. It does create a library file but not a copy of teh mp3 file. I have my songs on a network server.

I will add iTunes does play around with files when it adds idtags (or whatever the correct term is) to the file.

• Member For: 15y 9m 20d

Zap,

I had similar dilemmas, I got my xr6t on 4/12/08 prior to heading down to Sydney for chrissy. I too had stacks of cds but decided to bite the bullet and pick up one of the new generation Ipod classic 120GB units. We use it purely for music (mine, the wifes, and the kids). The Ford site doesn't list this 120GB ipod but the firmware for it is identical to the previous 160GB that the stores tell me was phased out due to the physical bulky size. I trialled one at a good guys shop prior to purchase just to be sure.

The ipod and its integration through the head unit works a treat, beat's the hell out of controlling the ipod itself. Mates are saying the'ld buy a falcon just for this function! My line of thinking is why bother with CDs or MP3 disks.

If you run this way, you'll need to make sure that you don't have a pre-configured equilizer setting at the ipod otherwise your audio control through the head unit will be biased and you won't be able to crank up songs with any serious bass for moments of sanity when the wife and kids are not in the car :crybaby: .

Let us know what you end up running with.

JAM

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 1d
So the new FG will play MP3 CD's ?

Yup. Depending on size you're looking at around 7 albums per disc...essentially giving you a 42 disc stacker. (Has to be MP3, won't play WMA...easily converted though)

Still considering an iPod though purely because the connector is there going to waste!