Steering Feel And Rack Travel.

--Jase--

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 12d

Nice work, but the double a-arm geometry will make things a bit harder than the above McPherson setup. I'll be interested to see your results if you give it a crack

There is a small amount of adjustment on the back of the power head on the rack, this will only adjust the tension on the pinion shaft to the rack itself though, I'm not aware of any other adjustment to the assistance.

I would say that it is pretty safe to say that no one here has tried spacing the rack - perhaps there may be someone on AFF, but you are the first person that I have heard of asking about this modification. Both here on the forum and at work

• Member For: 12y 20d

Yeah I wasn't overly confident I'd get the answers I was looking for..

Might just have to suck it and see for my self..

But like I said earlier.. If any one has access to some FG uprights I'd like to buy some ..

Also along that same train of thought, is a late model Territory upright the same as the fg.?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 18d

To make the steering lighter you can boost the power steering pressure. You'll need to disassemble the pump and shim the relief spring to up the pressure. I think from memory 500psi should be achievable without having to worry about other seals leaking.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 18d

I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's always best to start small and work your way up. My suggestion would be to pull the spring out and put one washer under it, reassemble and test. One thing you must watch when shimming it is you don't cause the spring to coil bind before the valve can fully open. If that happens the pump can over pressurize at higher rpm.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 27d

or remove the spring and install a spacer behind the relief valve, and drill a small hole in the relief valve. Keep increasing the size of the hole until you either A: get the feel you want or B: stop blowing sealing.

Also dial some some castor into it. It will transform the way the car steers and steering feel