Rust In Boot Lid

Kingers.

• Member For: 14y 6m 24d

Hey guys, need some help with my car as I'm starting to see rust coming through on inside of the bottom of the boot lid. It's just starting to bubble the paint.

When I first got the car, second hand, I noticed that water would sit on the inside of the bottom of the boot lid and when it was opened it would trickle out. I thought I had fixed the water issue, but apparently not.

So what are my options to fix it all up? Can I just use a wire wheel to remove the paint and paint it with some sort of rust paint the paint it the original colour? And can I spray the inside of the lid with some sort of paint to help it as we'll? Can't really get a wire wheel or anything in there though.

Is there any panel beaters in the eastern suburbs that would be able to give me a bit of the advise on this issue?

I would post a pic but I can't seem to do it with my iPhone

Thanks

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 12d

That's the best option... Just get another lid and paint it, will probably cost you the same as rust repairs mate

• Member For: 12y 9m 17d

Had this happen to my old AU xr8, I believe it's pretty common with them and the water was getting inside thru the spoiler bolt holes. Ended up just buying a good condition same color lid for a few hundred dollars

Alot cheaper then getting a panel beater and spray painter etc... Have a hunt around for a good condition second handy

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 1m 9d

I don't see any rust on mine - but have the same issue - think water is getting in through the bolt holes of my spoiler cos I can see water run out when I lift the lid (drips into the boot which is annoying) :nono:

• Member For: 14y 6m 24d

^ get a torch and check inside the lid where the water sits.

Thanks for the reply guys, think ill give it a bit of sand and treat it then paint just to stop it from spreading. Will keep and eye out for a replacement boot lid in the same colour and replace it when I can find one.