Ba Engine Heavy Breathing - Advice Please

JK89

• Member For: 13y 8m 29d

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some advice. Just recently my car has started breathing heavier then usual.

My Mods are;

Billet to4z turbo with std rear housing and .85 front

650cc Injectors

Plazmaman intercooler w/ throttle body relocation kit (3" cold side 2.5" hot side)

Surge tank with external 044 fuel pump

External wastegate w/ screamer pipe

4" dump with 3.5" exhaust and high flow cat

Cushion button clutch and t56 gearbox

Atomic Valve Springs

Basic oil catchcan for the rear breather

Car is making a safe and reliable 335kw atw. Now tuner has said I can go more but I dont want to break the engine ( its not a BA engine, its a NA one I believe but not risking anything until I know for sure what the hell is in the bottom end) All I know is ive had this thing on the limiter and stretched the redline point to 6500 and still goes hard everyday without missing a beat.

Its always had a breathing issue and little amount of oil coming out. When I idled it the other day it was still running fine no issues but breathing 2x heavier then usual but same amount of oil maybe a smidge more. Can anyone shed some light on this please? or let me know exactly whats going whether my oil rings are on the way out of if they know of people with the same issue and no dramas? would just prefer some more detail info?

I had a seperate tuner look at it when it was making 285rwkw and he just said engine is gone its going to blow dont bother wasting your time etc, but im now at 335rwkw and no dramas..... yet (touchwood).

thanks

post-43560-0-72690100-1352506657_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 15d

Car is making a safe and reliable 335kw atw.

Contradiction in terms there mate if you have an Na bottom end. If it's started breathing heavy and the crankcase ventilation system doesn't have any obviously flaws you've probably got a piston/ring issue.

im pretty sure its NA block with something in it. Not a BA XR6T bottom end. Theres no way a std bottom end would support 335rwkw.

Theres also no air intake on turbo at the moment coz of the size of the front cover - have one being made up - shouldnt really make a difference to my breathing problem

apart from the fact I can route it back into the intake.

ps ralph its the thurple ute haha RIP 571!

Edited by JK89

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

NA/Turbo block =Same/Same. Looks like you have a decent catch can setup so check that out for any blockage issues.

Where abouts are you located? You may need to find a decent mechanic for a leakdown test

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 11m 25d
im pretty sure its NA block with something in it. Not a BA XR6T bottom end. Theres no way a std bottom end would support 335rwkw.

Theres also no air intake on turbo at the moment coz of the size of the front cover - have one being made up - shouldnt really make a difference to my breathing problem

apart from the fact I can route it back into the intake.

ps ralph its the thurple ute haha RIP 571!

335 on a standard ba bottom end has happened several times now.. it's very doable... but still a grenade lol

Aren't the internals different between the two? I'm pretty sure a na xr6 block would pop a rod at 300rwhp? Haha.

Catch Can only went in 5 days ago haha. Might see if theres any kinks in the line pretty sure I made certain there wasn't

• Donating Members

as far as I'm aware the only difference between the two is the n.a. has higher compression ... that's about it ...I thought bottom end was the same

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

block and bottom end = not same same, block is part of the bottom end. a ba turbo and non turbo BLOCK are the same, the crank is the same, the pistons and rods are different.

• Donating Members

as I said I could be wrong but I thought the only difference was the compression and exhaust valves....

when ya chuck a turbo on em they top out at 280-300kws coz of the higher compression but I honestly thought all bottom ends were same til bf 06/06

again I could be wrong