Rear Muffler Removal For Straight Pipe

Bellato

• Member For: 14y 2m 9d

Give it time, I thought it sounded a little tinny at first (but sounded way tougher than stock). Although once the new pipes get some build up on them, it will get a deeper and slighty quieter note to it. For me, the noticable difference was how much smoother the gear changes became (manual). There was a definate difference in back pressure, not great, just noticable.

Cheers

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 10m 19d

Mines manual impellor... I love hearing the crackle on gear changes too. I hope mine gets smoother soon, havent noticed anything as of yet (although havent thought to feel for it tbh)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 18d

I have a 2003 XR6T manual sedan. I want a louder note, something that sounds tidy, not something that is too dull.

Different people have recommended different things but I was told by one shop that removing the rear will be louder, but that doesn't necessarily mean better note. Another place has recommended the centre.

Can anybody who has seen both done or has one or the other provide a comment? Whichever I do I would want straight through pipes no hot dogs.

Much appreciated!

Go rear, sounds better, performs better, looks better (twin 3 inch tips). But is a pain in the arse to get rear section over diff without a hoist. I honesty believe the the centre became the norm, because its easier to do. Also I feel that the centre muffler plays a role in maintaining heat within the system, to help with thermal velocity. My view on removing the centre muffler is that it will reduce the performance due to the rapidly cooling exhaust gas, then, having to hit the rear muffler (particularly in B series as it so bloody big)which further slows velocity. My experience was to go to a custom fabricator and ask for the centre removal. His first comment was "you have been on the internet". I said yes, he said its "not the way to go". I'm glad I listened to the expert. Besides the better sound, I instantly noticed the smoother gear changes. Which indicates to me better flow.

Cheers

Edited by Impellor

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 3d

• sedan and no hot dogs would be a horrible time in the cab. I have a ute with centre muffler removed and wish I had swapped it out for the rear one now.....or not done it at all haha

• Skid Machine
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 5d

Go rear, sounds better, performs better, looks better (twin 3 inch tips). But is a pain in the arse to get rear section over diff without a hoist. I honesty believe the the centre became the norm, because its easier to do. Also I feel that the centre muffler plays a role in maintaining heat within the system, to help with thermal velocity. My view on removing the centre muffler is that it will reduce the performance due to the rapidly cooling exhaust gas, then, having to hit the rear muffler (particularly in B series as it so bloody big)which further slows velocity. My experience was to go to a custom fabricator and ask for the centre removal. His first comment was "you have been on the internet". I said yes, he said its "not the way to go". I'm glad I listened to the expert. Besides the better sound, I instantly noticed the smoother gear changes. Which indicates to me better flow.

Cheers

So inside the centre muffler where it goes from twin 2.25" down to twin 2" isn't a restriction in a turbo system?

• Like 1

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 4d
  • sedan and no hot dogs would be a horrible time in the cab. I have a ute with centre muffler removed and wish I had swapped it out for the rear one now.....or not done it at all haha

really?

mine sounds awesome. and after I ramped up the boost and chucked in a cat it got even better.

So inside the centre muffler where it goes from twin 2.25" down to twin 2" isn't a restriction in a turbo system?

RB I certainly see were your coming from. But on the factory system, using the factory cat, I don't believe that it is such a problem, and could actually be beneficial. The reason I say this is that I feel that it helps to maintain heat and thermal veloscity (Ford engineers are paid a lot of money to work this stuff out, the reduction is there for an efficiency reason I believe). How you may ask. As the exhaust gas moves away from the cat it is already starting to cool (therefore reducing in volume and speed). By reducing the muffler intake size, you are now effectively forcing cooling exhaust air into a smaller area. This will result in increasing veloscity, and it will also create a vacuum like effect (this is also helped along by the muffler helping to retain some heat), and then allowing it a free run (removing rear muffler) into larger exit pipes without having to exit through a convoluted rear muffler. Now I wish just to clarify that this is only useful on the factory system and cat. As the greatest restriction in the system is the catalytic convertor. Once you run higher boost levels the factory system is incapable of providing adequate flow or efficiency over 300RWKW's.Running anymore and probably less becomes inefficient, and places greater strain on the turbo, which will increase operating temps to higher than desired levels.

Hoping that this makes some sense.

Cheers