Fg Rear Clunk

Bellato

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 12d

Hey mate that shunt coming off hard acceleration is quite normal, not the diff bush, as was recommended too me could be a stuffed tailshaft coupling but won't really fix it much. Just something you learn to live with.

Now after a couple of months of my problem being solved I'm afraid its returned! Going to have a look and see if the diff bush was installed wrong and has shagged itself, plus going to check on the exhaust to make sure its not bouncing around. Other option Im thinking is might be a stuffed shock/shocks in the rear, but haven't noticed any oil leaking from them. Will post up whether its just paranoia or whether theres a problem somewhere

• 6 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 12d

Bit of a thread mine but trying to follow up on this issue.

So I finally fixed the problem (well at least 95% of it). I recently changed the upper outer and lower out control arm bushes and the knock seems to have gone. I can hear something every now and then but its probably just the car bottoming out. These cost me $80 and took the good part of a day with some help and mucking around.

Note that things that appeared to fix the problem before may have just temporarily done so but once everything settled it came back, that's why I waited a few hundred kms this time to make sure it hasn't come back yet, touch wood!

So what I did and the affect it had:

Changed upper shock bushes and control blade bushes to nolathane - $250ish - Reduced noise temporarily but came back worse, rear gripped better

Changed springs and shocks (monroe gt sport) - $700ish - Made noise slightly worse

Changed upper inner bushes to offset (for camber) and diff bushes - $800ish - Made noise slightly better and removed axle tramp

Changed sway bar link pins to ball joint ends (wholesale suspension) - $100 - Made no difference

Changed Upper outer and lower outer control arm bushes - $80 - problem fixed

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 9y 11m 2d

HI Sorry to revive an old thread, I seem to have the clunk too and would like to first try to tighten up bolts in the rear end before opening the wallet and chucking parts at it, is anyone able to post the BA specs? Or are they the same as the BF/FG? Just don't want to overtighten and cause myself more issues! Many thanks, great site!

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 7y 6m 18d

Had same problems in  BA and now in  2014 FG  you can put money on it it will be the CONTROL BLADE bushes , don't replace them with Ford parts , use SUPER PRO  , you can buy the complete blade with bushes already in , problem gone in an instant , I got sick of so called experts telling me nothing was wrong so I went looking myself  , around an hour to remove and replace the pair , easy !  Just note this is the control BLADE BUSHES  not control arm bushes 

Edited by childsplay marine
addition

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 1m 26d

When I had my BA XR6T I replaced the centre and side diff bushes with SuperPro Comfort from Senna_T at the time (he no longer in the business that sells them).  My centre one had a tear in it so I got them all replaced - it sure improved the handling of the car - one of the things you can do to improve performance (cornering) :thumbsup:

Prices have gone up since 2013 - cost of labour especially.