What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 8m 16d

Hue hue hue. Despite the weather man bullsh*tting me, I got the front mount intercooler installed today. I went for a quick drive and it definitely keeps pulling, where it would slow down a fair bit before. After a good few runs I pulled over and the cold side was cool to the touch whereas the hot side was roasting. Needless to say the top mount intercooler was always too hot to touch.

Another win, what's next lol?! Valve springs I reckon, I can hear them playing up occasionally. I have a new set and a tool so that can be the next job :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Fitting the actual intercooler itself is the same as a Falcon. There is some trimming of the inner crash bar, bending of the AC line, I used a rivnut gun to insert some threads for the top mounts and tec screwed some mounts into the lower rad support. I suppose I could rivnut the lower ones too but it was too hot and I cbf lol.

FG upper piping fits to the hot side of the intercooler with an extra silicone and 90 degree bend while BA/BF piping fits on the cold side, with a slight change for the lower part of the piping as the terry cooler is flipped. I used the Raceport BOV as well, it needed a vacuum/boost source that I stole from the no longer used IMRC solenoid.

It took me about 4 hours to remove the intercooler from the other car, find all the various bits of pipe and silicone, weld up a hole in one of the pipes, temporarily relocate the trans cooler and fark around removing the stock stuff and fitting it all to the car.

I went for another drive and it has definitely made an improvement.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Did a quick power check while I was in the car, it makes 220awkw on 10.5psi @4800rpm.

I think a set of valve springs will bring up the boost slightly in the top end, perhaps it is just the nature of running it with no boost control.

Fark me at this rate I should have just chucked a na engine in the turbo car and be done with it.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

3576 with a billet wheel

Also the intercooler was 50C when I left the driveway and dropped to 40C at the end of the run. It's currently 30C and sunny here.

Previously the top mount would start at 50C and finish at 100C.

• Shocked 1