What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 12d

Modified my Tramp rods to have a Bushed end. Installed these rods years ago but removed them due to the NVH they caused; a direct metal link from the axle to chassie, reserved them for motorsport days only.

Used a leaf spring shackle hanger & bushes. Cut them down and welded to an appropriately threaded bolt.

Works excellently without the noise issue now. Such a more direct response from the rear end without the leaf springs winding up and releasing on each gear change.
Little too late for my leaking pinion seal, & torn centre bearing though. Also a leaking rear main seal added to the 'Ignoring-till-its-a-bigger-problem' list.d829d37f29adfc75ee16164c6aa0ae33.jpg

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 18d
On 14/07/2024 at 6:18 PM, bupalooga said:

Used a leaf spring shackle hanger & bushes. Cut them down and welded to an appropriately threaded bolt.
Works excellently without the noise issue now. Such a more direct response from the rear end without the leaf springs winding up and releasing on each gear change.

Nice work, must be very satisfying.

• 2 months later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 8m 18d

Did a wheel bearing on the Landrover today, carnt was a bit stuffed.

Now I'm gonna pull the built trans and high stall out of my territory and install a stock trans and converter. I wonder how long a stock na trans can hold 470awkw?!

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Dunno if I mentioned it a few months ago but when I bought my na territory, I did a trans service on it and a pan bolt snapped as I was undoing it. Anyhow, yesterday I drilled it out and helicoiled the trans case, put a new filter in the trans and sealed the pan up...not with sealant you animal, with a dry gasket. I was gonna swap the trans yesterday but hit a wall after a few hours, I think I'm catching whatever the kids have got cos I ain't got no energy lol

JolU8Ik.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6m 8d

Got some new tyres (not today, a few weeks ago, but same same) :) some "Kumho ECSTA PS71" tyres from a place nearby to where I now live (I emailed a bunch of places nearby but this one responded in a timely manner so got my business)

Pretty grippy even in the wet; we'll see how they go as they age... the old Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that were ~6-7 years old from here -> https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/96768-tsw-bathurst-on-ba-xr6t-f20x930r20x1040

were not very grippy in the wet anymore as they'd aged past the point of useful life from sitting around for too long before I used them... then of course the work I did in that thread did minor damage to some of the tyres which sped up the end of life for them, it appears.

image.jpeg

Do love a clean car :) You know you've modified the aesthetics how you want when you turn around and take photos when you park it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Went and picked up my tyres for the Landrover today, then fitted and balanced them at home after. This is the complete description for them, "Nankang 245/75R16 Nankang MT-1 120/116Q 3 PLY S/W 14.1MM". I had to bash my exhaust cos a rear tyre just clipped it, but other than that it was pretty standard stuff. Went for a test drive and it was nice and smooth, haha it's always like that with new tyres. Probably also helps that they are less than 12 months old, compared to the 14 yo tyres that came off it.

Here's some pics cos we all like a pic :)

psU2KNN.jpg

6NpxBd7.jpg

ZxdnIMr.jpg

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 10m 14d

@PuffwagonTalked to tuner about putting more spring in my 50mm ts gate. It currently has a 14 psi spring in it and we suspect its getting pushed open a bit cos boost drops at 5000rpm from 20 to 15ish despite 95% duty on mac 3 port feeding top and bottom of gate. Gonna try it. Should I put in a 3psi or 5psi spring in with the 14? I thought I will try get it to boost and hold 18psi all the way to 6k rpm because it currently has 750nm torque at 3k rpm and my short lived previous turbo combo gen2 gtx3582r on stock manifold had 550nm at 3k rpm. The barra loves to expell all its exhaust gasses out through the Artec and efr9174. A few less newton meters down low rpm might stop my rods bending I figure.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Perhaps think about dropping the gate spring to 7psi and install a 4 port mac valve. I have 13psi of spring in mine and can run in excess of 40psi with only 25% duty. Granted my turbo is much bigger, but a 4 port will allow between 4 and 6 times the spring pressure and should give you the boost you desire. It's a bit harder to tune the boost control, but I've done it before with the stock pcm so I'm sure your tuner can get it sorted.