How Common For Fg To Throw Water Pump Pulley

old_mate

• Member For: 18y 7m 7d

Quick drive up to my folks place ended poorly tonight - temp warnings come up on the dash, temp guage well into the red, pop the bonnet to find water pump pulley missing. Belt somehow dropped into the remaining shaft but the whole pulley is gone.

Spoke to a relo who is Service Manager at a dealer in Central Queensland who has head of this four times now.

Warning signs about a week ago was a sqeaky belt which I fixed with belt conditioner (silicon spray basically) - obviously masking the real problem.

Gotta say, I was spun out to see a whole pulley missing. Sucks I am about 2 and a half months out of warranty too.

Anyone else been through/heard of this?

Edited by old_mate

• 3 weeks later...
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4d

This happened to a mate of mine at work. He was a little more unlucky though. His resulted with the pully putting a good sized dent in the underside of his bonnet (you could see the big lump when he closed it) and then it got shot through his radiator. And his car wasnt even to 10000kms yet !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 21y 5m 21d

Today I was investigating a squeek, took the belt off to check the pulleys and the water pump pulley is phucked(FG turbo). One thing that comes to mind is that the belt tensioner is a pretty strong unit on the FG. Its puts way more pressure on that plastic pulley than say EF/EL tensioners. So we never really had these failures on those models, its just that this plastic pully has a hard time with the FG tensioner.

Anyway I am looking for an alluminium replacement as the plastic will just fail again. Duz anyone know who duz the ally ones. I have seen them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 4m 2d

Add another failure to the list. Found my pulley had come clean off the shaft and was sitting on at the bottom of the engine bay. Symptons were the same as old_mate plus a melted plastic/rubber smell from the engine bay over the past few days.

Car is stock with 75000km on it, and unfortunately 5months out of warranty :(