Samsung Galaxy S Iii

smicky

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 14d

If u let it run dead flat then charge til 100% and do thus 3 or 4 times when you first get a phone it will learn to utilise battery life better and make the battery last longer over time.

Lots of people say lithium iron batteries aren't learning batteries but that's bullsh*t cuz when every ashole was having issues with their I phone I wasn't and dame with the early HTC phones .

Nope, that has zero scientific credibility for Lithium Ion Batteries (what all phones these days use). In fact, the absolute worst thing you can do to any Li-Ion battery is to continually deep discharge it. You will kill off 4 cycles worth of life from a Li-Ion battery doing what you have said above.

how does a battery 'learn' fluff?

that's gotta be the funniest thing iv ever heard!

They don't. There is software (such as iOS) that can manage the charge and discharge but the battery itself doesn't learn anything.

Well before u go and be Eddie Murphy google it... batteries can learn ... u I <3 Bananas retard ... along with a lot of other devices ...

I'm not 100% on the science but when your other half is one of the top electrical technicians in sa and uve done it for three years and multiple phones ....and it farkn works trust me

Maybe you should Google it Fluff :sungum:

Li-Ion batteries don't have any memory effect like older batteries did. There is something called 'digital memory' effect which is where the cicuitry that reports capacity to the system becomes innacurate over time. This effect cause no harm to the battery, it just results in the battery reporting an incorrect capacity to the device. This is simply like your speedo becoming innacurate over time, it has nothing to do with the molecular make-up of the battery like the traditional 'memory effect' does. This is a problem on laptops as the battery manages charging/discharging but should not be a problem on phones as Android/iOS manages charging/discharging with circuitry on the phone itself. For example, Apple manually resets the circuitry controlling battery charge every time you perform a Hard Reset (Home + Power), Update or Restore.

Here's a good quote for it:

There used to be certain types of batteries whose "memory" of their total charge capacity seemed to get confused by shallow discharges. This is not, and never was, the case with Li-ion batteries. However, if you are using something like a notebook computer that gives you time estimates of how much longer the battery will last, this clock can be confused by shallow charging intervals. In these cases, a periodic deep discharge can reset the timing.

relax fluff geesus, I looked into this and have some points

They have no memory effect, which means that you do not have to completely discharge them before recharging.

If you completely discharge a lithium-ion battery, it is ruined.

I think your confused with the "no memory affect" that these batteries have!

maybe you should google it seeing as you have no idea!

Yep, what you've stated is correct.

There are three things you should avoid subjecting Lithium Ion Batteries to:

1. Completely discharging the battery
  2. Storing the battery at 100% (which includes leaving it plugged in at 100% for extended periods which is a big problem with laptops)
  3. Exposing the battery to heat

A battery stored at 100% for 12 months at 25C will irreversibly lose 20% of capacity. That same battery stored at 40% will only lose ~2% of capacity irreversibly. Lowering the temp to 0C in the first case reduces irreversible lose to ~7%.

iPhone battery issues have also been a result of software glitches.

I've seen a test where they took a phone with battery problems, one without problems, backed them both up, restored phones but swapped the backups over between the two phones and the phone that originally didn't have the battery issue now did.

I've had my battery suddenly turn to sh*t after app updates. Restored from my last backup and all was good again.

Yep, because iOS is in control of the battery (as well as other software bugs that may exist). So, they swapped the battery profile over when they restored the phone.

Ok why don't u go study electrical science and the n maybe you will understand the science of it.

I personally didn't jet did and I believe he has slightly more credentials than a Google search!

Anyways just trying to give some advice to help others cuz I have had pretty much every smart phone that has come out in the last 5 years and my battery lasts longer than everyone else I know so its most just a fluke....

Trying to help ppl jeez

I understand this but there are many long running myths about Li-Ion technology. If completely discharging didn't matter, why would GM force the battery in the Volt to maintain 30% capacity (0% displayed to the user) even if you run out of Petrol? Why do phones have built-in safety margins (the iPhone displays 0% when the battery has 5% remaining)? The only way to reset the battery counter without a system command to the battery is to fully deplete the battery which no phone actually lets you do as this can potentially damage other circuitry.

Also u are partially correct.

The lithium batteries can not be fully drained .. the phone has a sensor and turns the phone off at 95% empty

It is set at the 95%... if u always put the phone on charge at 85% capacity the it will have a tendency to sense that your not using the full battery and move the turn off point to say 85% empty.

Therefore now rendering that 15% of your battery useless.....

That's why if you exercise the entire battery for the first few times it senses the turn off point to stay at 95% keeping your entire battery running at its maximum efficiency ....

Any more science than that and my brain will hurt lol

First bit is true, the rest is not. A lot of people think this because over a 12 month period, the average battery spends its life at temps of 25-30C most of the time and has an average capacity of 70%. This results in ~15% loss of capacity irreversibly. There is no way to get around this. Every Li-Ion battery degrades with age and this is intensified with heat of if stored in a fully charged/discharged state (40% being optimum).

Gents - its all good.

I know how the batteries work, while im a IT nerd, I have actually studied electronics as well (even if I try to appear like a dumb bum often).

The discharge/recharge or recycle upon initial usage has been performed.

For anyone with a smart phone you may also wish to look at an app that will clear the memory on the 'handset' which is cached to better manage the power saving function on the handsets. This can also be done via the download menu within the android OS (if the option is enabled - normally requires a cracked bootloader).

:thumbsup:

Yep, I belive they use special machines that set and check the voltages and currents for each cell in the battery while charging it.

Looks like Android does indeed control the battery just like iOS if you can download apps to clear the 'battery capacity' circuitry. If this was done on the battery like with laptops, you wouldn't be able to do this with an app.

Not having a go at you Fluff, but I see so many people who still think Li-Ion devices have 'memory effects' when this is not the case. I work with several hundred thousand laptops at work (over 300,000 at last count) so I've had plenty of chances to test every conceivable method to prolong their life.

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 6d

My eyyyeeessss.... O.O

Haha nah good post to clear up some stuff. I was under the impression the batteries learn as well but I don't fully charge/discharge a few times. I just charge the phone to full when I first get the phone and off I go lol. More so the old man has drummed that into me (since Nokia 3315) so probably the old batteries?

I think even with my nexus I didn't even charge it. Was something like 75% full and was using it before I even left Telstra in town lol

Edited by Shyfrd

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 14d

That's what I did with my iPhone Shy, charged it to 100% when I got it and off I went. I can get the same usage now as when I got it 18 months ago minus maybe 30 mins (6 hrs Standby and 8.5 hours usage when new, 8 now doing the same number of calls, texts, emails, FB, etc.).

• Like 1

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 20d

Still think there is credit to the method...proof is in the pudding.... got my s3 which has had this method and my friends s3... without purchased same day same colour same 16g .... put them all back to factory settings from 100%battery just off charge and at exactly the same time pressed play on a very very long YouTube vid ... then spent exactly 2 hours on the phone and at the end of it all I had 47% battery he had 23%....

Everything measured exactly the Same... both called from west lakes within 2m of each other and called 2 colleagues within 10m of each other so it was same coverage and everything....(conference call)

How do u explain this? Both phones are 1 week and a half old so no ling term effects yet

Not being sarcastic... genuine question? Coz I don't know how to explain other than the method worked unless there's something else I'm not factoring in

For the sake.of the first 3or 4 charges being from dead flat I'd rather do that and give it the best opportunity to have longer liFe than leave it to chance.....

It has worked for every phone move had as I said and same with jet and his boss and everyone else who uses the method....you also get different answers in this topic everywhere u look... pita very controversial... so as I said. . For the sake of 10 mins worth of effort on a new phone I'll take my chances.....

On a side note.... have spanked my phone with constant usage for the last week and internet and have had at least 20% battery when I got home every night.... very happy with it.

Edited by Fluffinator