Fg F6 - Rear End Creaks And Noises - Help Please

Jake F6

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 16d

Hi guys,

The suspension place had a very thorough look over my rear suspension, to try to find two noises, but the investigation was inconclusive, and apparently they would need to drop the cradle to investigate further which would be a bigger job. I may need to go down this path shortly as these noises are driving me nuts... The suspension place replaced the bushes at the top of my rear shocks, and also mentioned that the sepherical bushes would need to be done at some point, but will be ok for a while longer - all other bushes were good. Diff cradle was alsowelded, as per other thread.

The following are the two noises that I am trying to eliminate:

1. Low speed creaking noise coming from the rear, when going very slow I.e. 10km/h whether going straight or turning does not matter. Cannot be heard at higher speed.

The suspension place suspects that perhaps something needs to be tightened which they cannot get to without dropping the cradle, could be a bush. I sometimes hear the creak, quite loud just as I jump out of the car and the weight is released off the rear wheels.

2. Knocking noise when taking off briskly (like 4-5 knocks in quick succession). This can only be heard on take off, and the knocking can be felt from the rear of the car.

I have made sure that the exhaust is not anywhere near the tailshaft. The suspension place think that this potentially could be a drive shaft, but again, would need to pull the car appart to be sure.

Pat from Wholesale Suspenison - can you please give me your opinions on these, as its not quite May yet :)

Thanks guys.

Jake.

• Member For: 18y 7m 17d

For whatever reason - the creaking at low speed I wouldn't rule out the handbrake. Whilst not familiar with the FG setup yet, I have seen a dragging handbrake cause all sorts of low speed noises across a few different vehicles.

The clunking on takeoff - I had a similar problem with my last SS commodore. It was the LSD assembly.

• Member For: 12y 8m 22d

I'm having similar issues Jake F6. Is your car manual? Mine is a manual FG xr6 turbo and makes a creaking/knocking when taking off very slowly. or turning very slowly.

I have replaced centre bush and welded the cradle and the blade bushes too.

Although I have those symptoms, the ass end also gets a wobble at around 80km's when going straight. not all the time but occasionally. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow though so I will report back with any findings. Maybe some other bushes have gone?

• Donating Members

Thanks, my creaks are getting worse, and I'm wondering if it's to do with the cracked cradle flexing around, despite being welded.

Let's share notes - I need to find a good place in Melbourne to take mine to next week.

Jake.

ok guys,

picked my car up this arvo.

Here is the list he gave me for the rear end

*L/H driveshaft is rooted

*Rear Lower control arms - inner bushes

*Front Lower control arms - inner bushes and rose joints

*Blade bushes starting to crack

*Diff cradle starting to crack - AGAIN!!!

so basically im up for a complete ass end.

The thing that pisses me off most is that I just had the centre bush and the 2 outer ones replaced at (Insert name here - not going to bag workshops) and I asked them to check the car out and if anything needed to be replaced while the diff cradle was out, ill get them done then and there. They told me nothing else was wrong and then all this is found. I wont be going back there again that's for sure!

Hope this helps you out Jake F6

George

• Donating Members

Thanks George.

Sounds expensive!

Do you know how much for a new cradle? (the stronger design ones post late 2010).

At least it sounds like you found a good workshop that have really gone over the car well - that's what I need in Melbourne - Somebody help suggest a place please...!

When are you taking it in for fixing? - I'll be interested to see how you go.

Cheers, Jake.

No worries Jake.

Will probably cost a bit of coin but once its done I shouldn't have to touch anything for a while.

I am actually in Melbourne myself. Its going to a workshop in Scoresby.

I am buying a cradle on Monday less diff, driveshafts and hubs for $450 and I'm going to rebuild it with all new bushes myself since its out of the car. I'm not too fussed if its the newer or older style cradle as I'm going to plate it up to make it super strong so it wont crack again. I can assure you a lot of bracing will be done :)

Once I've done what I can, ill be dropping it off with my car and a new driveshaft ($220) for them to install everything.

I will keep you posted on how I go with everything.

George