How To Improve Time?

xr6turboman

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 5d

Hi,

Went to 1/8 mile drags yesterday had lots of fun but my times were pretty pathetic, best I could manage was 1/8 in 10.02 at 137kph car has 345rwkw 6 sp manual and a herrod sure shift .. running 20/30/245 falken fk452 on 25.5psi ... I was getting an alright initial jump but would loose massive traction in first and into second and by the time I get to third 1/8 mile was basicaly over. I did manage one good run until I went for 3rd an put it in 1st and compression locked the rears ended up coasting over line with clutch in would have liked to see what that time was ..

ANyway I would some advise on ways to improve time what rpm I should be launching at ?? would I better of getting some drag light wheels and putting some slicks on? what will I break if I do that? is there any weight that can easily be shedd that'll make a diff?? Any advice will be much appreciated..

Thanks

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m

Id say some wider rears with good street tyres, maybe an 18" rim by 9.5 or 10 wide so you can get a wider foot down. 345rwkw is alot for a 245 size tyre. And as above.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 10d

Manual is not an easy deal with these cars. Problem being that every time you change gears you have 2 tonnes worth of falcon slowing the car down when you aren't in gear accelerating...

You need to slip the clutch as you come off the line so you get some road speed up before the clutch is fully engaged and transferring all the torque to the rear wheels. Also, try not to dump the clutch between gears, the smoother you are the quicker you will be!

As others have said though, budget for a set of CVs...

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 4m 22d

Pat with CV's for FG I read somewhere you have to replace the whole back end or something if one goes? Is this true or can you just replace an individual CV? What are they roughly anyway?

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

Nah, the rear is the same in BA/BF/FG (except for diff bush) so you can just change the one shaft. Just make sure you buy a new Hub locking nut and a new diff-axle seal when you change a CV, these are only cheap from Ford anyway.

I haven't found anyone aside from Albins that do just a CV knuckle upgrade, everyone else does complete shafts for mega $$$$

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 4m 22d

• Skid Machine
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 24d

Wouldn't you be better off just buying second hand shafts from the wreckers if you weren't going to go the billet route?

Heard the after market ones aren't as good as the factory items either.

I dunno if the falcon's are the same but my cousin just replaces his with second hand ones for about $30 when ever he snaps a shaft in his vy ute.

Edited by rbjet

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

The Late model camira ones are way stronger than the falcon shafts, plus they don't vary between LSD and open diffs, anything out of anything will fit.

Dillz - stick with genuine until someone tries those ones out!