HID Lights

Dillz

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 24d

Doubt they will melt anything. My 35w hardly gets hot on the cover. No problems thus far except for drivers light recently not lighting up due to one of the connections not tight together, not sure which one but it only happens once a fortnight. Might plier them together tight when I can be arsed lol. All connections are clipped together just idk one might need that little extra pushing together :idunno:

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 13d

I am a complete novice with the wiring of these. Can anyone maybe by use of pictures show where on a fg mk2 the wiring has to go for the HID lights in comparison to the OEM fitting, and also attachment to the globe.

• billet turbos and weathered engines dont mix
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 29d

Where are you located mate? Basically the high low kits just use one headlight output as a signal for the relay it will plug into the OEM headlight plug. . One wire will go to the battery for power. This goes to the relay, then comes back out as two. These go to two ballast, one for each light. These ballast then have wires coming out for the bulb. It's red to red black to black. You really cant get it wrong as all the connectors are different and won't let one fit another. The bulbs fit straight in. Take the bulb out of the metal holder, put it in the headlight and put the clip on. Put the bulb back in and your done. Make sure everything is tight. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Hope this helps!

• billet turbos and weathered engines dont mix
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 29d

Doubt they will melt anything. My 35w hardly gets hot on the cover. No problems thus far except for drivers light recently not lighting up due to one of the connections not tight together, not sure which one but it only happens once a fortnight. Might plier them together tight when I can be arsed lol. All connections are clipped together just idk one might need that little extra pushing together :idunno:

Pin and plug connectors sometimes get squashed, like trailer connections mate. Only thing you can do is what you said or crimp new more durable connectors on like I do.

• Donating Members

Where are you located mate? Basically the high low kits just use one headlight output as a signal for the relay it will plug into the OEM headlight plug. . One wire will go to the battery for power. This goes to the relay, then comes back out as two. These go to two ballast, one for each light. These ballast then have wires coming out for the bulb. It's red to red black to black. You really cant get it wrong as all the connectors are different and won't let one fit another. The bulbs fit straight in. Take the bulb out of the metal holder, put it in the headlight and put the clip on. Put the bulb back in and your done. Make sure everything is tight. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Hope this helps!

Im in Sydney. Hate to continue on with all this cause im not as dumb as I must sound however, mine is a fg mk2 as I stated. It uses a H7 for high beam and a H7 for low beam (not h4 which I believe the mk 1 use). I will post some photos when I can to show my confusion, but for now I'll try to futher explain my issues. The HID kit comes with all the connectors to the ballast and two wires to connect to the OEM plug. The OEM plug on my car has a male side and female side. The male obviously clicks into the female. Now the female side has BOTH the low beams (2 black wires) and the HIGH Beam (2 brown wires) going into it. My confusion is that no where can I see where to plug my HID plugs into this oem plug anywhere.

If anyone has done a mk 2 and this makes any sense I would be happy as a pig in sh*t. Appreciate any help I can get here.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 2d

Depends on the kit you brought, some kits require you to make your own connector or cut the OEM connector and join the wires. (Don't cut off any connectors, try and get some from an auto elec and make up what you need.)

• Donating Members

strange thing happened the other day installing my hid lights. They tripped out when I touched the connections to test the lights. I have a fg mk2 and I was using a fairly cheap hid kit 35 watt 6000k.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.