HID Lights

Dillz

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 24d

It advertises DC on some but when you pick up you can choose. I had the same worry and he said nah its fine, just peoples personal preference. But just to be sure give him a call and confirm!

Nothing to complain about my h4 hi/lo :)

• Member For: 13y 6m 3d

I installed Z Labs in my BF XR6T (both high and low beam) and one of the H4 bulbs would go out when switching from high beam back to low beam. Z Labs replaced the faulty ballast no worries, but I did have to foot the cost of sending the faulty ballast back to him (no real drama)

• Member For: 21y 2m 21d

:ta:

Another question:

How do you guys find the HID H4's? There is a suggestion in the older pinned thread that the HID low beam and high beam can't be both adjusted to equal the halogen globes light pattern quality. Was this just a particular brand of globe? Are current HID H4 globes sorted now? Is there a particular brand of HID H4 globe that stands out in this regard?

Cheers, Andrew

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 5m 10d

Andrew,

HID H4's (Hi-Lo) in B-Series & FG are both perfectly fine and have far better light output than halogens, even when aimed poorly. When aimed correctly, the H4 Hi-Lo has a much better light output and gives much better visibility compared to halogen light output. To the uneducated observer, there are several "bright" and "darker" spots on the road, but even on the "dark" portions, it is still more light output than a conventional halogen, just it is hard to clearly discern a single bright beam (which is most people's complaints). Personally, I found it far more than adequate.

I had a HID H4 (not a Hi-Lo) for a while in my old BA, but I got rid of it quickly (as I had ordered a Hi-Lo) , but the light output was still better than a conventional halogen.

Projector HID's have a more "full" light, with very little discernible bright/dark spots in comparison to reflector style, but it doesn't "light up the road" far up ahead of you as well as a reflector light, but is still far more light output than halogen variants.

All in all, HID is a good way to go, no matter what you choose!

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 12y 4m 2d

This thread is way too long. But still felt like I had to read it all incase I missed something.

Bought some HID's off ebay last night, payed a little bit more than some people on here but not too much.

Got--> 55w 6000K Hi/Lo HID kit, maybe should have went to 35w kit to prevent any overheating but had already bough these one so will give them a whirl

Question I have is with the auto headlight feature, is only on startup that you have to have them off? My knowledge of it is that its the inital surge through the electrical system that can damage the ballast plus or minus the fact that the HIDs would have to power up twice (Once on Acc and then again once engines started) which can cause the issue.

So it should be fine to then turn the Auto lights on once the car has started. As long as I make sure they are off once I go to start the car again.

I might try take some photos and what not of the installation process and do a write up if I can be arsed. Much better that reading 12 pages of people asking if their Ebay seller is okay!

Sam

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 2d

The auto function is fine to use as long as when your using it the lights aren't going to be doing multiple short startup/stop cycles. That can be caused by short tunnel or even carpark buildings.

• Like 2