Coilovers Or New Springs And Shocks+ Sway Bars ?

smXR6

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 4m 11d

Very good buying imo for high quality shocks. Dare I say though, group buy so pehaps we could do even better?

+1 FG set for:

Bomber, F6mark? Howsee?

Edited by Bomber

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 7d

Very good buying imo for high quality shocks. Dare I say though, group buy so pehaps we could do even better?

+1 FG set for:

Bomber, F6mark? Howsee?

depends on the timing of this but I could be keen.

trying to recover from a new car purchase atm

• Member For: 13y 3m 19d

You will get a better price doing springs/bilteins/alignment all together, assuming you want to go a bit lower. Around $1700 fitted is around the mark here in Perth. That was with Lovell springs, Kings are usually a little cheaper. But budget for front and rear camber kits if you don't want to chew out the insides of your tyres, this would add somewhere around $600 if done at the time the springs/shocks are done.

Any good suspension shop would advise on this I would expect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 19d

Had Kings and Bilsteins... King's weren't low enough (SSL & SL) Have Dobinson's Ultra low's now with my Bilsteins and am planning to get coilovers to get it firmer (and lower) - XYZ's cause they sit low enough for my liking. Now days coilover prices have dropped a fair bit.

Moral of the story - get coilovers and have ample height and damper adjustment to WHAT YOU LIKE, had a price of $1850 to fit all 4 on mine, will be adding front and rear whiteline sways when I do and have been given a price of $2500 for the lot.

Bilsteins are about $1100, add springs ($400) fitting and wheel align ($400) you're already up in coilover price ranges

• Like 1

Guest XR09
  • Guests

If
I
lived where the majority of the roads were crap them
I
would go the Lovell or king and Red Koni set up. This handles well but is directed more towards comfort and ease of driving.

The Billies and Kings are great if you do a lot of highway driving. They are a quicker action than the Koni's so they get a little choppy over bad roads. Funnily in the extreme and real bad dirt roads these things shine.

Coilovers are great. But
I
would worry about buying a cheap one. Top shelf production models start at around $3000 per shock. So
I
would worry about what
I
am putting in there for under two grand.

They are stiff and will beat the crap out of OEM bushed. Mush cheaper to have the bushes done @ the same time. Add around $800.

I

find my Teins quite comfy on the road. 95% of the time more comfy than the std choppy crap they put in. If
I
could find a nice 18" rim to go over the 6 pots, and a 40 profile it would be cruisy as you could want.

@ the track, well QR and road courses they are fantastic.
I
would want stiffer if
I
had more grunt or a faster track though.

Unless you find a coilover that has a preload adjustment for the spring, as well as dampening controls you will be compromising trying to find the one perfect shock for both road & track.

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3m 27d

Can you mix it up? coilovers on the back and spring/shock on the front?

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 4m 11d

Had Kings and Bilsteins... King's weren't low enough (SSL & SL) Have Dobinson's Ultra low's now with my Bilsteins and am planning to get coilovers to get it firmer (and lower) - XYZ's cause they sit low enough for my liking. Now days coilover prices have dropped a fair bit.

Moral of the story - get coilovers and have ample height and damper adjustment to WHAT YOU LIKE, had a price of $1850 to fit all 4 on mine, will be adding front and rear whiteline sways when I do and have been given a price of $2500 for the lot.

Bilsteins are about $1100, add springs ($400) fitting and wheel align ($400) you're already up in coilover price ranges

Mate when you say SSL & SL weren't low enough, do you remember what height they were hub to guard? Stock I'm at 370ish and was told (by Kings) that combo should come out at 350.