Stainless Vs Mild Steel

macca2042

• Member For: 13y 8m 2d

I think I paid NZ$1500 for my whole system in stainless. Sounds a little loud and I would probably go stainless again next time but in twin 2.5".

Lagging the front part of the system will keep the heat and noise down considerably.

There wasn't much difference in the mild steel price where I got mine.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 1m 1d

had a 3' mild steel cat back on my old ute, actually did drone a bit, what does a twin 2.5' sound like?

Edited by macca2042

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 27d

It'll depend a lot on muffler size and construction for any exhaust I'd think? My 2x2.5" mild sounds nice except when towing at 100, then it's a bit loud and droney. Rear muffler is small barrel style which I was recommended to change to a better construction stainless oval type.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 23d

Some more info, I asked Hi performance products in Mitcham who are a distributor for jet-hot and the guy said that if you want 'jet hot 2000' coating which is designed for turbo applications it only applies to mild-steel. So it seems I will be sticking to my original plan of mild-steel dump & cat with stainless steel from cat back

extract from jet hot site:

JET-HOT 2000

JET-HOT 2000 is a coating that can withstand high temperatures over 1094C. This is a very high corrosion resistant coating, making it a very good coating for use on Turbo Housings, Turbo Manifolds, F1 race car exhaust and other Hi-Temp applications. The colour is Black.

(This coating cannot be used on alloy parts.)

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

Ceramic Coat Australia can coat stainless, silver or black. In my opinion its a great option as it keeps the heat inside the exhaust and limits heat transfer.

When I bought pacemaker headers I always had them coated

Edited by arronm

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 23d

how much to ceramic coat? I was quoted 200bucks approx a metre for hi-temp 2000(approx 1100 degree celsius protection). I think the less performing coats are about $100

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

Ceramic Coat Australia

Division of Pacemaker Headers

Call us today (08) 8354 2066

Edited by arronm

• 10 months later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 9d

Its been an interesting read.

We're currently builiding a new cat back exhaust for mine. Its been a custom s/s 4in dump to suite the high mount & a gutted cat with a xforce 3 1/2 cat back with a straight through resonator at the rear. The new one will obviously utilise the front half but the cat back will be 4in mild steel with offset s/s mufflers. My only reasoning for mild was the noise I want from the car. WIll be all vbanded as well

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 20d

Exhaust joints been using mild steel since before beer was invented by me. If rust was major concern then they would of switched to stainless.

If your tryin to save coin, or keep the weight down then mild steel is the go. If you want to impress your friends then stainless.

your my mate and no ones impressed

Weeeeeeee

• Like 1