Stainless Vs Mild Steel

macca2042

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 26d

so for a daily car, mild pipes and stainless mufflers would be the go? or just get mild everything for guys on a budget.

id be more after the deeper note than anything, prob wont have the car long enough to worry about rusting.lol

• Member For: 15y 3m 11d

probably could use 409 but it would have to be sourced from an aerospace metal supplier and anything with an aircraft spec = triple the price and its not common in the commercial scene, 316L is marine or hospital or food grade and its well suited to corrosive environments but its not very ductile and gets brittle when heated and cooled all the time like in an exhaust,this is due to the higher amount of chromium, 304 hasn't got a lot and if left outside will get a surface rust stain but takes years to even develop pitting, I'm up to my 9th home made turbo system and I've always used 304L grade tube, back purged the pipe and TIG welded it, I've never had a system crack yet, I find the muffler packing either gets choked up with soot or burns away and the systems I've made get really loud after a few years, I then just fit up a new muffler and its good for another few years,

if money was no objective I would have to go inconel tube with titanium mufflers, never going to happen though lol

if someone tries selling you a or your thinking of making a 316 exhaust don't bother you will be constantly pulling it off to get it welded

hope that helps

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

I was just stating the fact that 304 has more chromium than 316. I dont need a metallurgy lesson, Iam a metallurgist. But thanks for the info.

• Like 1

• Member For: 15y 3m 11d

I pulled some of my college books and your right there is around 1-2% less chromium in 316 and has increased nickel and molybdenum content and I was just stating its doesn't suit exhaust systems, wasn't trying to give you a lesson.

I spose I shouldn't post incorrect info from steel salesman before doing a little research.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 27d

Mild was almost a grand cheaper on new systems when I was shopping. Yes!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 4d

ben, I have a stainless dump.

considering getting it ceramic coated.

any pros, cons that you can advise me on?

ok seeing as our resident stainless guru is MIA and hasnt replied to this anyone else have an opinion on this?

• Member For: 12y 9m 7d

Money no object. {Ignoring titanium because the welding is difficult.}

Well, how about a dump-pipe in thick wall inconel tube or steam pipe or a re-cast factory type dump but in hi nodular cast iron with a four inch outlet. I costed a casting in WA..... 4 grand quoted.... forget it. I wanted a casting that really resists cracking.

Then into 304 stainless tubing into double skinned stainless mufflers. A "set and forget" type of thing.

However - reality......... mild steel works, its cheap enough and will last at least 5+ years and if you use stainless steel in the rear muffler you will get 8? out of the whole deal.