Stainless Vs Mild Steel

macca2042

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 9m 28d

I'd be going at least twin 2.5".. From having both mild and stainless systems on an NA XT and a WRX.. I'd be choosing mild to the rear muffler and stainless for looks from there..

Absolutely agree.

Ive tried both types from XRT, HSV, GTR and RS Liberty (sounds gay, but this fridge hammered and sounded good!! ha ha) and IMO mild steel gives a better note, far better value for money.

But like all these threads, its extremely dependant on owner - people pay 300K and love a Ferarri 8 or 12 note - I think many are way too high-pitched and awful, so each to their own :sungum:

Edited by CBXRT

• Member For: 15y 3m 11d

I've just finished making a turbo back 3 inch stainless system on my friends patrol all up it Cost $560 and 3 days of my time, granted it didn't have a cat so add another $200 and that should be a ball park figure for material cost in stainless. I by all my tube from tube sales in Brisbane, I only use 304L or 304TL

Any other stainless will crack due to the larger amounts of chromiuim in it. Hope this helps

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 8d

I think I've learnt more about exhausts and materials used to make them in the last 10mins than in the last 10 years.

Am I right in saying that it seems that most guys believe the best full system is a combo of both stainless & mild due to the pros & cons of both materials .

Also lets just live in fairy land here for a minute and say that money was not a issue for any of us . What full system would you choose based on over all improvements to performance that each system offers .( MILD or STAINLESS ) ?? .

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

I've just finished making a turbo back 3 inch stainless system on my friends patrol all up it Cost $560 and 3 days of my time, granted it didn't have a cat so add another $200 and that should be a ball park figure for material cost in stainless. I by all my tube from tube sales in Brisbane, I only use 304L or 304TL

Any other stainless will crack due to the larger amounts of chromiuim in it. Hope this helps

Doesnt 316 have less chromium than 304. Why not use 409 ferritic it has less chromium again. Might not look as pretty though.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 27d

Titanium fart cannon tip :)