6 Speed Gear Box For Series 2 Xr8 And Xr6t

Guest Fords Glory

• Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member For: 21y 11m 11d
Also, Speak to any Expensive Daewoo drivers with the GENIII & a 6 speed box and they will tell you they rarely use the 6th gear (Unless on a long trip on a decent highway)

Just a thought.

Hey, doesn't your engine chew oil? Oh, that's the Expensive Daewoo engine. Don't make vague generalisations about the six speed, there are 28 available, Ford may not use the Expensive Daewoo version.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LOK@ChipTorque
  • Guests

Have to agree with WBT56 There are lots of ratios for T56's get them right and everything is nice, get them wrong and you've got a Holden :ta:

Contact Mal Wood Automotive in Warwick Qld for T56 options :ta:

Cheers

LOK11

• Member For: 21y 5m 22d

I believe if Ford use a T56 they would use the Mustang Cobra version that is way lower geared than the Late model camira version. Stupidly that version is geared to pull 366 kmh in top gear, hence Commodores get their highest speeds in 5th, making 6th gear virtually useless except on a constant cruise on a flat highway.

• Member For: 21y 8m 8d

ive found when I have driven a six speed the ratios seem ,outta wack to compensate for an exttra gear,I mean it seems as if they,(not mentioning any names) are trying to use the whole torque curve. which ,unless its anywhere near sss aint gonna happen......na not a fan!! :( :thumbsup:

• Member For: 20y 11m 16d
I believe if Ford use a T56 they would use the Mustang Cobra version that is way lower geared than the Late model camira version. Stupidly that version is geared to pull 366 kmh in top gear, hence Commodores get their highest speeds in 5th, making 6th gear virtually useless except on a constant cruise on a flat highway.

ditto, It will be a lower ratio. Stupidity would be the answer if they followed GM foot steps with the ratios.

• FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 7m 1d

Nice set of 4.11's in the rear & corresponding ratios & look out Impported supercars

Scotty

Guest bozo
  • Guests

I drive a 6 speed ss on long trips and fuel economy in 6 is about 10.5l\100 at 120km\h. If in 5th economy is about 16l\100. Sure 6 is only good for cruising on the highway but I wouldnt swap it for worse fuel economy. Its bad enough around town as it is! Just my two cents worth regarding ratios!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 17d

A friend has a VW V6 Bora with a six speed manual and it is an excellent 'box. Even shifts nicely with all the heavy AWD stuff attached and pulls like a train from low down.

All the ratios are nicely geared so that all gears are useable and even has enough torque to use 6th in and around town if you want. We use to tow a trailer with it, until I got the T, and the gears were still close enough to get into 6th from time to time out on the highway.

Another friend had an S2000, until he bought his GT that is, and all of those gears were useable although tooling around in 6th wasn't that comfortable at lower speeds, but anything over 70-80km/h was fine.

IMO all cars should have 6 gears (apart from the obvious cost -part), whether or not you use 6th depends on how good the ratios are in each gear across the whole box. I have a 92 Corolla GTI which could use a 6th gear from time to time, not often, but out on the highway it would be great.

Expensive Daewoo seem to have just stuck another gear way above the normal 5th rather than changed all ratios from 1-5 then made 6th a little taller than a conventional 5th gear, have to say though, good on them for doing it at least.

Imagine 6 (nicely geared) ratios with the fat/flat torque curve of the turbo, I need to have a lie down now.....

my 2c

Edited by rjn

• Member For: 20y 11m 12d
Also, Speak to any Expensive Daewoo drivers with the GENIII & a 6 speed box and they will tell you they rarely use the 6th gear (Unless on a long trip on a decent highway)

Just a thought.

Hey, doesn't your engine chew oil? Oh, that's the Expensive Daewoo engine. Don't make vague generalisations about the six speed, there are 28 available, Ford may not use the Expensive Daewoo version.

Who said anything about Ford using the Expensive Daewoo box??? :angry: I have been told this by 3 friends who own holden's (Manual GenIII V8) that they rarely use 6th. No need to jump at someones throat for stating what they have been told by people using the 6 speed box. Some people may love the extra gear and the different gear ratio's. But for a city driver like myself I would not require it.

Don't get me wronge, I have a SSS 'T' (Not a bombadore as you emply) and if they brought out a 6 speed SSS option I would want one straight away. I would pass on a six speed manual as just a personal prefference.