Weight Training For Beginners

Kv!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

Yes I suppose so. I've never gotten stuck at the bottom of a squat, had some slow as reps before. My bar is bent so once it gets slightly heavy it bends even more and tries to yeet the weights with any sideways movement.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

First day back after a 4 week break, had to head out early to avoid the heat. I've got 3 months of strength training planned out, but it's in the 5 rep range mostly so there will be some hypertrophy too. While I was taking a break I ate a bit less and got my weight down to 111kg which is a good starting point to slowly put it back on.

I'm looking forward to only training 3 days per week, fark knows I needed a break after training 6 days per week for months on end. No joint pain today which is a pleasant change. So yerp that's that, should be strong like an ox in a few months or at least 3 day old socks :whistle:

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

The beach yesterday with the strong surf really gave my shoulders a workout just to hold onto my bodyboard haha good fun and no residual shoulder motion pain after 3 weeks of not pushing that right shoulder until at the beach yesterday... but we'll see how it'll go in the gym tonight to actually go back to my normal maximum training effort in the shoulder area... :)

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Start sub maximal homie, 65% is good then work up to and over your max, over whatever span of time (4 to 6 weeks) suits you. Jumping straight back to maximum effort isn't needed for growth after a break and is much more likely to cause an injury.

Of course you can do whatever the FARK you wanna dooooo.......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0CkoNVlcojHbe7Fwh6kE

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

we'll see :) it's annoying to start at percentages because it's a pull-up... have to use that machine thingo... but yeah, I'll ease into it; sort of...

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Ah yes with a fixed weight you just change the rep range. Using the machine thingo is a great way to warm up.

See how you go, everything might feel great and there's no rule saying you can't train hard from the outset.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yep you might need to just use the machine thingo for a while. Lat pulldowns are good for that area, can even substitute seated rows for a workout close to the same muscles. I'm sure you have it figured out.

I did squat bench row today, the rowing part was the easiest for me by far. That's good though, it means deadlifts will be easier.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I will definitely start with the machine, do a few reps and see how it goes and up the weight (lower the weight on the machine) until it's good and go from there :) 

• Like 1