Fg Xr6T Diff Question

jetmani

• Member For: 15y 23d

I have a slight wining noise between 90-100kmh, when I back off the noise goes away, I think its the diff, Are diff issues common in the FG?

Where's the best place in Melbourne to get it checked out and also not get ripped off?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 29d

FG Very common, mine had it from day one, ford said "normal operation" after several attempts to get it replaced I modified it so I will be getting a truetrak built for it when money allows, ford factory diff=rubbish. If you have no warranty speak to Mick or Bel from Pitlane and see if they recommend someone to you. If you have warranty trundle back to Ford and ask for a fix/replacement ASAP.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 24d

the whine at low speeds was usualy a good giveaway that the diff was shot.

strange it only does it at high speed!

if the noise stops after you stop accelerating at high speed I dont think it will be the diff then. the diff is still spinning regardless.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 7m 6d

The pinion has 2 bearings a large and small - large noisy under load and small on coast - preload on these bearings can change due to torque that goes through the spacer (they wear or collapse and bearing preload changes) preload is very important when it comes to diff whine - if its lsd noise try an oil change

Edited by F1PERFORMANCE

• Member For: 15y 23d

I took the car to a diff joint in Melbourne yesterday , the guy took it for a drive and he also seems to think bearings and mentioned wave spacers from Ford, he quoted me between $650 and $1500 to repair,

Does this sound like a fair price?

• G666E Turbo!!!
  • Member For: 14y 9m 3d

You get me a new true trac supplied and fitted for $1500 and I'll put my name down for 10 of them, 1 for me and I'll sell the rest for $2000 still cheap and profit!!

5 places I called quoted prices starting above $2k even one place mentioned here that was supposedly $1550

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 29d

Apparantly a true track lokka is $1460@cost before labour etc.