E85

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 2d

I think E85 has benefits if

1-car does less than 300ks a week, some people like me do well over 500 a week.

2-Chasing a dyno number

3-racing

If your only chasing 300 to 350rwks I say stick to 98, 99% of the time you know what you getting without pulling out a E85 tester. Also save on extra fuel pumps, injectors.

Still to me when I had my motorbike the R1, and in the hand book says, DO NOT USE ETHANOL BASED FUEL OF ANY TYPE, I will take that warning to cars aswell as its still early days on what effect it has on car engines.

Glad you blokes like it but not for me as not chasing numbers and time's.

Paz,

Have you driven a car tuned on E85?

I ask as when I made the switch it was to make more power and run a better time and I swore it would only be for the drags

But once you convert your car to E85 and experience:

1. How much earlier and stronger boost comes on

2. How much stronger your car feels at part throttle

3. It's actually cheaper to run on E85.

You will not go back to 98

About the cheaper part.

I do 100klms a day 5-6 days a week.

98 gets me 480-500 klms a tank

E85 gets me 380 - 400 klms a tank

At todays prices it costs me 21.5c per klm on 98 and 20c per klm on E85.

If this fuel is accessible to anyone with a tuned turbo I urge you to at least try it, you will not be dissapointed.

My car is at Autotech at the moment as I'm installing a AFR gauge and they have removed the dump to weld the bung in.

The boys were amazed at how clean the exhaust and exhaust housing on the turbo looked.

This fuel is KING!!!

• Like 3

• Resident idiot.
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 29d

But once you convert your car to E85 and experience:

1. How much earlier and stronger boost comes on

2. How much stronger your car feels at part throttle

3. It's actually cheaper to run on E85.

This.

For me the costs worked out pretty much the same when averaged over 1000km.

It completely changed the way I felt about the car, And when I get the next car 85 will be the first thing I get done.

• Skid Machine
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 25d

Looks like it's more and more positives for me to chuck the GT-R on E85. Any of the tuners out there know what the power limit of one Walbro intank would be on an RB26 running E85? Possum?

• Member For: 12y 11m 17d

Guys

it seems there are a lot of positives for running on E85.

My car is not a daily driver, probaly average 200-250kms per week.

FG XR6T/ZF auto with:

CAI

ID 1000 injectors

High flow cat

PWR stepped I/C

Herrod piping kit

ZF tune and SCT custom tune

320rwkw

My questions are:

1. What fuel pump options should I go with, Walbro, size/type?

2. Will I need actuator and ported wastegate as part of the upgrade?

3. Best E85 to use

as I live in inner west Sydney I have quite a few United/Caltex E85 options nearby

What sort of rwkw power gains would I expect from my current 320rwkw

thanks

Armando

Edited by Sydneyxr6t

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 2d

Guys

it seems there are a lot of positives for running on E85.

My car is not a daily driver, probaly average 200-250kms per week.

FG XR6T/ZF auto with:

CAI

ID 1000 injectors

High flow cat

PWR stepped I/C

Herrod piping kit

ZF tune and SCT custom tune

320rwkw

My questions are:

1. What fuel pump options should I go with, Walbro, size/type?

2. Will I need actuator and ported wastegate as part of the upgrade?

3. Best E85 to use

as I live in inner west Sydney I have quite a few United/Caltex E85 options nearby

What sort of rwkw power gains would I expect from my current 320rwkw

thanks

Armando

Speak to your tuner to see what they are comfortable with in regards to surge, pump and actuator.

You should see a 30- 50 rwkw gain

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 18d

another plus to e85 is highway driving when us boys do trips over to heathcote we run98 over and average around 9.8ish ltrs/per 100 on the return with e85 it has droped as low as 7.8 per 100 cruising at 100-110km/h , on of us on the std fg small turbo went into the high 6's per /100kms , this is another win for this fuel. over the past close on 5 years nothing has made this fuel a bad option in any way tbh.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 26d

I see where you're comin from Possum but when you tune generally you want to know where your threshold is. With spark you advance until you reach MBT or you sense / record detonation. Fuel delivery should not be any different when you know you are approaching the threshold. I would want to know where the absolute limit would be or play it 'safe'. In regards to the pegged MAP....you're right not relevant cos you simply whack on an overboost valve and bleed of that excess!! How many cars have you data logged on the street to verify they are runnig the same boost as the dyno? The amount of tunes I have logged that run open loop and have the same wastegate duty cycle vs charge temp per RPM breakpoint indicates issues with increased boost when temp drops. If MAP raises on the street compared to the dyno then your fuel requirement increases and the demand on the pump increases....hence the requirement for a safety margin and to know exactly we're your flow threshold is.

I should also mention im not trying to push the knife in, but rather have a healthy debate. There's many ways to skin a cat and if people can appreciate both sides of an argument then they can go away and make their own decisions. Sometimes an individual will demand that their tuner push the absolute limit and in these cases the workshop can't be head accountable as they're simply doing what they are paid to do.

I should let you know that I am not a tuner and therefore some of your post is beyond my technical grasp and I may not have anymore constructive comments.

However over the last couple of days at nizpro we have been discussing this thread specifically and Dave our tuner has been showing me a lot of things on the dyno and explaining them to me in layman's terms.

As you have said in regards to ignition timing, knowing the limit and how the same principle should be applied to fuel mapping, you are 100% correct in stating that.

Whilst on the dyno yesterday with the bf that made 429rwkw on a singe 044 Dave showed me how he will command a richer mixture than what is optimum for best power to ensure that the pcm has "headroom" to adjust fuelling requirements. if the richer commanded mixture is reached (wich it was) then would you agree that there is a safety margin for further adjustment by the pcm?

So far the most we have managed to make out of a single 044 pump is 457rwkw, so the people who are debating that 429rwkw on a single 044 is not safe, is 22rwkw or 6.5% more power (compared to 457rwkw) not a big enough safety margin? 57rwkw or 14% (400rwkw-457rwkw) not enough?

Its going to come down to personal preference but at least it has been proven possible

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 11d

Yep can't fault you there, if you command more and you get it then happy days for sure!

Suck in all that info you can, you're in a great position to learn more than most of us would dream of.

• Like 3