E85

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 14d

E85 is high in octane arount 105 which gives you more room to up the timing I made more horsepower and torque from E85 compaired to 98 with less boost!! I used to run 15psi on 98 now I run 14psi that's with full tank of E85 not a 50/50 mix gained 28.9 rwkw dyno sheet to prove it, as far as filters are concerned I reckon change them often

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 3d

I have been changing my fuel filter every second service (15,000) with a paper one, I have cut open the filter on the last 2 and found no swelling.

I will be moving to 10,000klm service intervals so will now be changing my fuel filter every service.

Maybe the higher petrol content in eflex is the reason I have not seen any swelling.

I think if you replace your filter often and change your fuel lines to E85 compatible ones you should be fine.

So far I cannot fault this fuel.

Edited by rednose
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 1m 2d

I have been changing my fuel filter every second service (15,000) with a paper one, I have cut open the filter on the last 2 and found no swelling.

I will be moving to 10,000klm service intervals so will now be changing my fuel filter every service.

Maybe the higher petrol content in eflex is the reason I have not seen any swelling.

I think if you replace your filter often and change your fuel lines to E85 compatible ones you should be fine.

So far I cannot fault this fuel.

How do you find the consistency changes with Enthonol with Eflex? Is it just a matter of leaving extra fuel margin in your tune?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 14d

Yes Caltex do alter eflex, I asked them when I was low on fuel oneday, up to 75% ethanol that's what the manager told me, it will vary they use less ethanol in winter for cold starts so I was told, dont shoot the messenger, that's why I buy my ethanol at United its has a higher concentration of ethanol...my car has been tuned to run E85 not eflex. If I use eflex my car runs like Cr*p

Edited by BFXR6TURBOMAN

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members

How do you find the consistency changes with Enthonol with Eflex? Is it just a matter of leaving extra fuel margin in your tune?

I have tested the flex about ten times and it has always been 72-75%.

I have been testing since October last year so one would think that I have used there Summer and Winter batch.

My car has always run well.

I'm no tuner but I am led to beleive that you will not get big gains by tuning on the edge as it makes a little less if not the same power when tuned a little fatter.

The United stuff is more like E90-92, so there is a difference of 20 points.

I will be doing a United tune soon so I have both and can just switch tunes with the Xcal.

I will also be installing a Zeitronix E85 display unit so I know the exact content of ethanol.

If tuned a right you should be able to get away with 4-5 points either side

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 8m 4d

the e85 tube testers, only test the normal fuel % part of the mix.not the ethanol % content.

as an example,if you tested it at 85% then you tip out 30% of your test tube of e85 ethanol, and refill it with 30% water, shake it,let it settle and it will still show the same amount of ethanol % content.

I not saying that united or caltex would add water to there mix,but the only way to be 100% sure would be to buy a instant digtal type setup to know the ethanol %.like the Zeitronix E85 tester.

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members

the e85 tube testers, only test the normal fuel % part of the mix.not the ethanol % content.

as an example,if you tested it at 85% then you tip out 30% of your test tube of e85 ethanol, and refill it with 30% water, shake it,let it settle and it will still show the same amount of ethanol % content.

I not saying that united or caltex would add water to there mix,but the only way to be 100% sure would be to buy a instant digtal type setup to know the ethanol %.like the Zeitronix E85 tester.

that's why I will be buying one, but in saying that you would definately notice if if was mixed with water as your car would not run right.

Fingers crossed they dont start doing this sort of stuff as there could be a lot of damaged motors and angry customers

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 11d

what about a 50:50 mix? to muchy fkn around?

I used to do it....infact I used to run an e21 blend (10L sucrogen & 30L BP ultimate) as a good compromise of economy and power. But I got over the mixing business very quickly. You can run almost 19psi to the redline on the stock BA/BF turbs with 60's on a 50:50 mix. With the amount of timing you can add....that's a decent increase in power. I'd probably stick to drum e85 for mixing myself.

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 18d

I used to do it....infact I used to run an e21 blend (10L sucrogen & 30L BP ultimate) as a good compromise of economy and power. But I got over the mixing business very quickly. You can run almost 19psi to the redline on the stock BA/BF turbs with 60's on a 50:50 mix. With the amount of timing you can add....that's a decent increase in power. I'd probably stick to drum e85 for mixing myself.

this is what gets the most out of your fuel system/injectors not everyone likes doing it but if your a decent enough tuner like u toads its easy to net sweet results, but u just need a half a brain to get the mix right .............................................this now will confuse most of u lol hahahah sorry had 2 weeeeeeeeeeeee

• Like 1

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members

this is what gets the most out of your fuel system/injectors not everyone likes doing it but if your a decent enough tuner like u toads its easy to net sweet results, but u just need a half a brain to get the mix right .............................................this now will confuse most of u lol hahahah sorry had 2 weeeeeeeeeeeee

Not that hard to mix if you run 50/50, how hard is it to put 30L of premium and 30 litres of ethanol.

The United stuff is pretty consistent and even if it is 3-4% out it aint gonna make much difference.

Mixing is a good way of getting the most out of those who have smaller injectors like Dekka 60's

Edited by rednose
  • Like 1