E85

• Member For: 13y 8m 3d

and have too much spark advance

And yes, to much timing thanks Mick.

Mick, if the tuner didnt go over board with advancing the timing, if knock was detected the computer would just take 1 or 2 degs out would'nt it?

Edited by james333

• Member For: 18y 4m 21d

to get the best power from any combination, the spark needs to be pushed hard, some push harder than others, but if the knock sensors are left on with a reasonable amount of retard left then yes it will pull timing, if it detects any, and that can be how the knock sensors have been reprogrammed.

The motor may need more than 1 or 2 degrees remoed though.

• Like 1

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 4m 23d

Does e85 have any downsides? Apart from fuel economy? I heard prolonged use clogs everything up? I.e engines have to be striped and cleaned. Any truth to that?

Does e85 have any downsides? Apart from fuel economy? I heard prolonged use clogs everything up? I.e engines have to be striped and cleaned. Any truth to that?

Almost everything has downsides, E85 is no different and has been discussed in various different threads, although many argue with what is posted because they may not have seen the downsides first hand. I have not heard on any engine issues bar 1 thread, that has blamed E85 for damage. There are benefits when using it, the user just needs to weigh up whether or not it is for them.

• Like 1

Do u ya have to take e85 fuel with you when getting tuned for it. I mean drain all fuel from tank then refill with e85?

You would not be able to fill your tank and drive it until you have a tune for it, and it is best to get fuel from what will be your usual supplier and have it tuned on that, so it would be wise to get some clean jerry cans and fill them with fresh E85, do not let it sit around for ages before getting it tuned with though.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 26d

Do u ya have to take e85 fuel with you when getting tuned for it. I mean drain all fuel from tank then refill with e85?

Not sure how other tuners do it, but at nizpro we run the car up on the dyno to get a baseline on 98 (or tune on 98 if your a new customer) and then we drain all the 98 out of it, fill up with e85 and then begin tuning with e85

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 4m 23d

That wasn't aimed at you Mick just after other people thoughts or what they've heard/seen.