E85

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 29d

I really think poeple are getting too paranoid about Ethonal fuel and not being told or understanding the main beneifts of using it.

There's alot of pro's and cons with it and its really something you need to consider personally, rather than go by what is read on many forums...

There's a few guys commenting in this thread that I have been involved with in setting up their cars and giving them information, soley based on our ( Rapidsystems and Crescent motorsport ) have found while extensivley testing and tuning with CALTEX & UNITED SYDNEY "E85" fuels.

You've got the cost, which is less than 98 by around 20-40cent a litre ( give or take ), the MPH factor which greatly varies depending on how the TUNER sets AFRs & timing at cruise & light throttle, its going to use sh*tloads on WOT so lets not even worry about that, but your general rule of thumb that I have seen is, add 30% flow to a given system designed for 98... example 60lb dekas are happy to support 400wkws (again this is a general figure as an example), so if you want your 400wkws on E85 ( be it Eflex 70% or United 90% ), add in the extra 30% flow of injectors & pump(s) and your in the ball park.

I use 80lb injectors at 450wkws which have been great.

At the other end of the scale, say someone with 350wkws but not wanting more, you can still get the benefits of Ethonal while staying at the medium power level.

Benefits can be a cooler running engine, cleaner engine, cooler fuel, less boost used to run same power, more timing advance ( so more power ), when tuned with more timing advance / leaner AFR at cruise better fuel ecconemy , or at least similar fuel ecconemy at a cheaper pump price... and lets not forget that there is alot less polution.

At the big end of the scale you can push way more boost into a motor, and more timing long befor it will detonate, but you still need to stay within the motors mechanical abillity, as in dont go bonkers and run 30+ psi on a stock motor like I do, it will break eventually, it can just take longer... though my first FG motor only broke due to massive lean out at 35+psi , I'm sure with correct fueling it would still be fine as it ran 30psi for a decent amount of time.

AFR mixtures dont seem to be as anal as with 98 in regards to making power, we've seen the power figure stay constant on 10:1 up to 14:1, where as on 98 there is a huge change in power.

So by those results you can see how much of a broader "window" the tuner has to opperat and tune with... a little touch leaner here and there isnt going to cause the same issues that it does with 98, so if your tuned to an AFR at WOT of 11.0 on one servos Ethonal mix, and fill at another servo and see it lean off to 12.5 as an example, its not time to freak out and wait for a big bang.

So I say use it while we still have it, as Ive heard talk of it being dropped from sale due to lack of sales... then again we hear talk of more servos planning to sell it, so who knows there.

But if you have a servo, either Caltex or United near you on or your route to work, get into it, its the best thing that's happened to performace cars in years, extra kws at the pump, for less $ , you cant say no to that.

By the way, I'm not talking about any "barrel Ethonal " or special blends / mixes ect, from what Ive been told, caltex and United have additives to suit our cars which is why the factory filters and lines are holding up very well... Ive no idea if these barrel mix's have additives in them, which is possibly why poeple have had fuel line & filter issues.

Get into the stuff... its awesome, boost up and have piece of mind.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 11d

Its a real shame SCT doesn't have a lambda adjustment in the xcal3 'user adjustment' since all fuelling is lambda based. Would solve a lot of these arguments! If you could do a quick change to your lambda value then it would make mixing fuels safer. The Holden's now have that nice ethanol table in their calibration too which is useful as an OEM type reference to ethanol mixtures and their corresponding lambda.

Edited by IH8TOADS
  • Like 1

• Resident idiot.
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 28d

I changed over to E85 before the car got sold, all I can say is WOW!

I'll be getting another F6 soon, first thing I'm going to do is get it onto E85.

So much more responsive all over the rev range, much nicer to drive.

Ended up with 391rwkw, gained around 40 just from the 85.

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 2d

I changed over to E85 before the car got sold, all I can say is WOW!

I'll be getting another F6 soon, first thing I'm going to do is get it onto E85.

So much more responsive all over the rev range, much nicer to drive.

Ended up with 391rwkw, gained around 40 just from the 85.

I gained about 45-50rwkw and agree this fuel is awesome.

The way the boost comes on earlier in the rev range is a big bonus..

Makes you enjoy driving the car that little bit more.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 23d

My FGXR6T was tuned on Eflex.

Graph shows a direction comparison between 98 and Eflex.

Car did not leave dyno.

98 unleaded drained and 40 litres of Eflex in. Tuner waved magic wand and 45rwkw gain.

post-16087-0-66207800-1332541672_thumb.j