Getting Extra Kw Without Replacing 5 Sp Man Gearbox

mattxr6tute

• Member For: 15y 1m 23d

I Have a T5 XR6 T with 278 rwkw and its ok, it all depends on how you drive the car too!!! I will say though my tyres that I have arent that great either and break traction easy which I think saves the load on the gearbox too, I have read that the main killer of a T5 is hard launches. If you dont abuse it too much then it will be ok, but if you want to drag race people in sh*tty commodores and Jap buzz boxes on a regular basis then yes the T5 will pop for sure even with a standard engine.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 12y 11m 27d

I Have a T5 XR6 T with 278 rwkw and its ok, it all depends on how you drive the car too!!! I will say though my tyres that I have arent that great either and break traction easy which I think saves the load on the gearbox too, I have read that the main killer of a T5 is hard launches. If you dont abuse it too much then it will be ok, but if you want to drag race people in sh*tty commodores and Jap buzz boxes on a regular basis then yes the T5 will pop for sure even with a standard engine.

Thanks man, I rarely race it, or smash it from the stop. I just like the turbo pick up mainly (which of course everyone else on here would). So If I just get a Cold air induction and a tune, then the box should be fine if I only give it a bit occasionally in the higher gears?? It's got about 123,000 on it, and planningo n keeping it for a solid 2 years as its almost paid off..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 1m 23d

Yes it should be ok if you drive normally, and just give it the occasional boot, smooth launches and smooth gear changes will save the gearbox for sure, But dumping off the line is what kills them they dont like the shock. Mine have 123K on it too but I bought it from a dealer with 92K on the clock and the box failed after 1 month so had it replaced for nothing under stat warranty. So mine is new and its done 31k with normal driving and the occasional boot of the line :-), T56 would be nice though but $3850 for a conversion. :VB Beer:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 18y 2m 28d

If its the T3650, I had one behind a 236RWKW 530nm engine and it was there for eight years before I traded it with no issues.

The BA Mk1 V8 had a TR-3650, which is completely different to the T5 in the Mk1 Turbo's.

If you are nice to it, it should last... But then again, what is the point in getting more power if you can't use it reliabily.

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3m 26d

All you can do is make sure your roadside assist is paid up (with unlimited towing) and hope for the best..

• Member For: 15y 11m 3d

I have 280rwkw and have made about 15-20 passes at the strip with my 5 speed. I use ams oils in the box and change it every 1500km. So far so good but I'm always wondering when it will go bang. It has been running that sort of power for about 2 years and 30,000 km. I look after her and she has hung with me....so far.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 6m 25d

You are kidding yourself if you think you wont hard launch or give it the beans once its tuned. I'd start saving up if I were you.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 5d

I have 280rwkw and have made about 15-20 passes at the strip with my 5 speed. I use ams oils in the box and change it every 1500km. So far so good but I'm always wondering when it will go bang. It has been running that sort of power for about 2 years and 30,000 km. I look after her and she has hung with me....so far.

Do you really mean 1500km or you were meant to write 15,000km? 1500 would be almost monthly gearbox oil changes...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3m 26d

I thought they had t5z's, they are supposed to be a bit better but not as good as the t56