In The Club

Bomber

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 4m 5d

I've had an afternoon to enjoy the car now I'm bored haha. Hmmm...what about coil overs?

• Like 4

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 3d

It's funny you say that Bulletime, coz even with the Shockworks kit Brett (the owner/designer/tuner) suggested a stiffness setting of 6 front and back for track work, despite the fact they can go stiffer. It's about finding that balance of stiffness and rear end grip and the Teins I had in my XR6T, although fantastic compared to the stock suspension, I found were too stiff even on a track. I'll be able to give better feedback on the Shockworks kit as of Friday though as that's when my GT is booked in to have them fitted :)

Teins are 100% better than stock though, not to rain on your parade Bulletime :)

• Like 3

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 8m 7d

Haha all good mate. How many adjustments do the shockworks have? The teins have 16, I've got them on 3 front 2 rear at the moment just for the street and they are still comfy cruising but could do with a bit more dampening to get rid of a little more bounce mid corner. On the track I was going to start at 8 front and back and go either way depending how it responds.

As I've told you before it will be really interesting to hear your thoughts on the shockworks since you've also had teins before, interested to see how you compare comfort and handling.

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 4m 5d

Sorry in advance to gen yr's for what I'm about to post here but, the xyz's were aimed at doof doofing, undie showing kids that just wanting their car on it's guts. Most of the settings actually don't do sh*t because the valving is puss. Those that fit them couldn't give a toss about any of that and that's cool.

Anybody that truly knows the geometry of these cars will tell you anything less than 345mm hub to guard all round f*cks the handling. I'm actually lower than that in the rear currently with SSL's on all four with tow bar fitted. Also, the monroes whilst reasonable, do get a little choppy.

So for me, it's about being able to dial the height in spot on and have the adjustment to get the car to ride a bit better.

I'm also thinking the shockworks kit is the best fit for what I'm after. Very keen to hear how yours goes Mr Stripes :)

• Like 4

Haha all good mate. How many adjustments do the shockworks have? The teins have 16, I've got them on 3 front 2 rear at the moment just for the street and they are still comfy cruising but could do with a bit more dampening to get rid of a little more bounce mid corner. On the track I was going to start at 8 front and back and go either way depending how it responds.

As I've told you before it will be really interesting to hear your thoughts on the shockworks since you've also had teins before, interested to see how you compare comfort and handling.

The Shockworks have 10 levels of adjustment. Brett reckons 0 (being the softest setting) is great for daily street duties as it's comfortable but still greatly improves handling over stock. He says that he goes 2-3 front and 4 rear if he's going to tear it up a bit through some winding roads and suggested if I was doing track work and am running a Rspec rear that I could go to 6 both front and back. He said to have a play and see what I like, but in his opinion full soft is best for bumpy roads.

I used to run my Teins on 8 front and 10 rear (this was using EDFC), where 0 was the hardest setting and 16 the softest. I found it comfortable enough for daily street duties generally, although a bit bouncy at times on bumpy roads.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 8m 7d

8 and 10 sounds pretty stiff lol, lot stiffer than I've got at the moment, what did you end up with on the track?

The other massive benefit to coilovers is the independent adjustability of height and dampening. On the circuit we don't need all four corners completely set up the same, adding or removing height or dampening can help maintain grip on any given corner, say if it was being unloaded due to the characteristics of the circuit, eg all right handers, the load on all corners isn't the same so you can dial in more grip on the unloaded corners of the car.

Either way shockworks or teins are both high quality coilovers that are a great improvement on handling for daily and occasional track duties.

• Like 2

Only ever did one track type event, was a performance drive day on a skid pan dodging witches hats. Was awesome fun but my EDFC farked out so I had no idea what setting I was using half the time. When the genius at WA Suspension installed the EDFC active setup he fitted the control module in the turbo side of the engine bay...as a result it got hot a freaked out and all I saw on the in car controller was flashing lights that gave me no info at all and didn't allow me to adjust the front dampeners...was super handy. So I just gave up trying to get it to work in the end.

Edited by .Stripes.
  • Like 1