Front Tyres Scrubbing

michaelhardy

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 18d

There is a camber kit you can get costs quite a bit. Is your ute lowered? Also when the alignment has been done are they setting it up toe in so that at highway speeds its neutral.

The soft bushes tend to allow the fronts to toe out and scrub the inners off.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 16y 27d

My FG XR6T has a shocking habit of scrubbing the insides, predominantly on the front end but I suspect the rear end a bit as well (hard to be 100% sure as I rotate pretty regularly). It's standard suspension, and has happened both on the Dunlop OEs and the Sumitomos I have since - it's pretty annoying as I'm chucking tyres with 10k left at least over 80% of the tread, just the inside "band" is rooted (down to the canvas on one - whoops!). I've been getting regular wheel alignments, I make sure I get a copy of the before and after figures, there's never really much change, but I've always suspected a bit more toe-in is necessary. Camber is minimal.

Has anyone else experimented with additional toe-in, and found it to improve? What sort of toe-in figures are you using?

Cheers.

• Member For: 16y 27d

Are they known to be weak? Because mine has only done 60k, not abused, and the problem has been there since the day it was delivered, so although I can see why buggered lower bushes might create the problem, I am doubtful that's it in this case - I've been under the front end recently poking about, and they all looked pretty good.

I have also heard rumours that Ford changed the "specs" sometime since the FG was introduced, on account of such issues - anyone know of this?

• Member For: 13y 3m 20d

Wheel alignment won't fix it.

The front lower bushes need replacing.

Agreed, Mine needed lower bushes and upper bushes. Problem fixed the tyres now wearing evenly but mines a ba

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 10d

The flex under braking. The shudder will disappear with new lower bushes too.

My car had 45,000km on it and the stock tyres were down to the canvas on the inside edge. That's with a wheel alignment to the specs ford recommend for the suspension height and wheel size.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

I use 1mm toe in to make it track strait and not wander off so much on cambers. No big thing. Good for highway driving.

Bushes and pressure. As in tyres.

I replaced my bushes at 8,000 odd K's. They were pretty ordinary looking and I was scrubbing out the inner of my fronts and the outer of my rears.

Never had a tyre unevenly wear or any sort of shaking through the wheel at all Since fitting the Superpro bushes. No did once. One wheel was out .05 grams and I felt it through the wheel.

Goods and bads of poly bushes. But a lot more good than bad.

Edited by XR09