Ba Xr8

Jamsey

• Member For: 13y 9m 7d

hi guys, I know this is the xr6 turbo forums but im already a member here, and your all top blokes.

so anyway, I have the opportunity to possibly get a BA xr8, its manual, done 150,000km, quad exhaust, cai.

its going to be mainly for my girlfriend to drive in.

its story is that it had water run through it (while parked) just up to the bottom of the doors, theres no mould in the car and smells like a normal car.

I drove it, it drives fine all electricals work. and I have looked into the necessary things to get it registered, and that would be literally just changing oils.

it has been having trouble selling for 8 grand. and I have been told if I offer 8 I would most likely get it.

my question is, what are the issues with ba xr8's? are the engines strong? reliable (for its km's)? I know the 5 speeds are way stronger than the t5's the xr6's get.

I will be having a very good look around the car when I see it again about the water that has run through it. but again I have driven it and nothing was wrong. and I have ppl I know who can get it registered for me with minimal work.

what do you guys think?

p.s I also wanna race it again my T...

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 22d

hi guys, I know this is the xr6 turbo forums but im already a member here, and your all top blokes.

Except for tab :stirthepot:

They are not a bad thing by any means. You do have to get up em to get them going. Driven a manual Xr8 ute and it went quite well.

The problem is when your getting into it, BANG there's the rev limiter

• Member For: 13y 9m 7d

yeah its on the register of repairable writeoffs, the mate ill bring with me to check her out is a auto electrician, and if I get the car at this cheap price I wont think twice about selling it off if I encounter the first signs of troubles. it isnt going to be my main car anyway. Is there anything in particular I can have a look at or get checked which might save me some trouble in the future?

I always heard such terrible things about xr8 performance, I thought wow it cant be THAT bad can it. im intrigued on racing my t against it. I reckon from a stand still the T's torque will just eat it up, but maybe from a roll on the 8 will give it a run. god im getting all excited.

• Oh look.... a real car, with no hair dryer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 17d

There really not as slow as everyone makes out, but as Rob (RHR) says you need to give em heaps to make them go, ie theres not much under 4 grand but after that hang on, til about 6 grand, then theres the limiter.

Edited by mercuryturbo

• Member For: 18y 4m

Check with your rego authority to see what is involved in re-registering it, had a customer purchase a car with some small hail damage, but was written off by insurance company, he had to get quite a few inspections done by various sources before he was able to get it on the road.

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 10m 4d

Jamsey, I found its exactly the opposite. The XR8 is clearly quicker than the T off the line (no turbo lag issues - an NA XR6 is also faster than the T the first 20 metres...), but once above about 30k or so the turbo kicks in and reels the 8 in quickly and goes away.....

The XR8 motor is OK (not great) but its the handling that really lets it down - way too front heavy due to the heavier/larger motor. Just my thoughts, but at 8k you can't really do any better if the car is fine (as ratter said, corrosion etc might be a massive concern)

Cheers.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 5d

The xr8's respond well to twin screw blowers but are pretty rubbish as N/A. 6K on a kit installed and you'd be looking at 330-360 at wheels. You wont get a T with that power for 14k.

• Member For: 18y 4m

to get that sort of power will require more than 6k charger kit, the cheap kits would probably bump power up to maybe high 200's on a 260 with stock exhaust system, but the cheap kits do not include flash tuner or tuning, injectors, fuel pump, 2 bar map sensor, cooler etc.

The cheap kits suck you in, but ti starts to add up to do it properly.

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 4d

:stupid:

Once you do exhaust etc etc as well... Strengthen driveline... It's barely worth doing it!

T is much cheaper to mid for 350rwkw