Fg F6 Tuning Concerns

YOZ-F6

• Member For: 14y 1m 26d

hey everyone,

This post was a reply from a different thread entitled "Introduction" and I'm starting a new topic so I can have some more feedback and not to step on PHawk's thread (sorry dude!)

I got new injectors, new fuel pump, full stainless exhaust (4"dump off the turbo, hi-flow cat, twin stainless and new high flow muffler) bored out wastegate and a replaced 12 psi actuator with a tune and all I got was 412HP at the treads?? no mods to the cooling system still the complete stock one. is it just me or the 34 degree celcius heat it was tuned in or did I get jipped on the tune?! I've heard some guys getting 450HP + ATW for this kind of setup, so am I missing something?

Turbo6FG: yes the intercooler setup remains stock. I asked Grenville (the guy in charge of the upgrades) if I needed a new cooling setup and he said I didn't need it, as the stock one is big enough, and can handle more than enough cooling. everything he presented was top notch so I took his advice and left the cooling unit. I'll think about the intercooler, but for now im just gonna leave it stock.

ROOF: I'm currently running 17PSI and the tune was done by House of Power in O'Connor. it was tuned here because EMU Autoworks use this tuner. when I went for a look, ALL the cars outside were Holdens and HSV's

is it at all possible that my car was de-tuned? because of the bitter rivalry between Ford and Expensive Daewoo fans? I know its a heinous thing toi even think, but does this happen at all out there? I havent been in the game long, so I'm still learning the ropes? could it be that or maybe just the 34 degree heat that it was being tuned in?

the first time it was tuned, there was a mixup and the tuner thought that there was a modified wastegate and actuator, so it was achieving 412HP and boost spiking like a b**ch @ 13psi!! so after a few error codes later and a modified wastegate and new actuator it was retuned and STILL only providing 413HP ATW? this make sense to anyone? running more boost, with a better actuator, and stronger reliable boost at that, still making the same power??

before I did the mods she was making 270HP ATWso theres definitely an improvement on power. HOWEVER..when I visited the Motorplex on 9/2/11 all I managed was 12.30, 12.42 and 12.32 I had only achieved 3 tenths of a second quicker than my completely stock time of 12.6 in sept last year?? mind you it was still hovering around 30 degrees on Wed last week, so is this heat and humidity playing silly buggers with my tune/ quarter mile times? could it be as simple as waiting for winter and re-tuning it and running it then?

any thoughts would be helpful, its left me scratching my head. Grenville said his BA was getting 450 ATW with EXACTLY the same setup as mine, so still I don't understand whats going on?

its going in tomorrow to have the solenoid checked because I'm also still getting boost spike codes, even after the new wastegate and actuator was put in?

so any ideas anyone?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 1m 2d

Something doesn't sound right, especially running that much boost

Speak with Simon at XFT and some other reputable tuners for the Fords and make your mind up then after you get some good advice from guys that have proven experience in the turbo 6's.

The standard cooler isn't quite up to the job for repeat runs on a dyno or repeatable performance on the street or strip, nor is the piping - have you replaced the piping or are you running 17psi through the thin plastic crap?

Maybe you have busted a hose clamp on the cooler piping, or even got a split in it.. people have split the pipes running stock boost or 1psi more than stock.

PM me if you want to chat further, hope you get it sorted

• Member For: 13y 8m 4d

No worries here YOZ, 412HP is 310KW at the wheels????, I would have thought you could get close to 300KW with just a tune in these puppies. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 13d

intercooler and pipe and than go see simon at extreme you will have a weapon than.17 psi I had over 360 rwkw so it sounds way to low.

Ian

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 28d

mate theres either something wrong with your car or something wrong with where your taking it

stock 270rwhp? that's 200rwkw. They make close to 300rwkw ( 400rwhp ) stock

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 12d

It sounds to me like you have been fed a load of bullsh*t. For a start, why do you have a 4" exhaust and stock cooler and intake piping? My BF Tornado makes 370rwkw on 98 thru the factory exhaust and 460rwkw on E85, it has gone 11.1@129mph with the auto slipping its arse off and a 1.8 60ft, so its making the power. I'd personally start by punching whoever told you you need an exhaust before a cooler in the face and ask them to sway them for you. Secondly, over 300rwkw on the stock cooler and you think the power is low? It is making the same power on 17psi that it used to make boost spiking to 13psi as the intercooler is so crap that intake temps are thru the roof, and the tuner has had to pull so much timing out of the motor that running more boost makes no more power, the lack of timing is taking out any extra power the boost is making.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting a process west stage 2 cooler and under battery intake setup. I presume its a F6 so you don't need the bigger turbo, so with the cooler and intake setup, I would estimate 360-370rwkw with ease.

6BOOST

• Member For: 14y 1m 26d

Thanks mate, some really good info there!

the guys who did the upgrades said I didnt need an intake upgrade, and since they seemed to know what they were on about, I left it at that! I haven't budgeted for a new cooler setup, so once I can save up more money, I might look at getting that done! the general consensus from the replies I have had is to go see Simon at XFT, so I think I might take a drive there one day and have a chat to him and see what he can do!

thanks all, if anyone else has any other advice, please it would still be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Yoz.