Reliability Of 6t?

Geeseman

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 4d

If you can stretch the budget, go the T.

Sure its a new engine... and there may be a few niggles. But its one fine engineered, well thought out high performance muther, which in reality, has been detuned by FORD, so as NOT to compromise the marketing of the new 5.4 litre quad cam V8.

The other important thing to note, is that although it is a turbocharged motor, the factory boost is only 5~6 psi..... not the 18~21 psi associated with the high performing Jap cars which provide exceptional performance at the cost of reduced reliability.

Once again, Geeseman, if you can afford it, get it! :o

I've changed camps cause it is so good.

Better add (Changed camps from GM)

before Ken makes a monkey outa me.

cheers

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 11d

It's a dirty big old lump of a truck motor - nothing will kill it, turbo or no turbo. Mate, there would be turbo taxis (God help us all) that would last the mandatory 800,000kms or more.

How long do you plan on keeping the thing? Working on 10 years at even 30,000kms a year, that is only 300,000kms in total (geez I am spot on at maths... :D ) Guarantee the big girl will last at least that long.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 23d

It's looking to be a 6-year car, but I dont want to hit 80K on it and have all sorts of problems with the engine because of the Turbo system.

I Spent the weekend in a Barra 182 and its a very good engine. Pitty that in the city there aren't too many chances to open up the T and let it rip.

How do people compare the XT V8 to the T?

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 28d
iaschmidt, you mentioned that you increased the boost of your Turbo.. How much performance increase did you get from this?

With boost,3.5 inch exhaust,ss induction cold air intake. We now have 325fwkw's. It now goes loike a cut snake.

Ian

Thanks for the info guys.

With boost,3.5 inch exhaust,ss induction cold air intake. We now have 325fwkw's. It now goes loike a cut snake.

Ian

Holy cow!

How fast does it go now? I'm assuming that these mods will void warranty?

I've test driven a few T's over the last weeks and I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide to get the T or the normal barra XR6. Only 6 grand difference...

How fast lets start by saying this site does not condone speeding but it will out accl a GTS no woorries and M3 BMW.

AS for what to get the t is your best bet if you have the means to get it.

Ian

• Flaccid Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 29d

If you want to tow, get the V8.

if you want to go, get the Turbo.

I've got 9000K's on my T, almost all of that has been "at speed"

(I live in the bush in the NT) and have had no problems with the turbo,

even in the middle of the build up. very hot.

• Member For: 20y 11m 10d

I currently have a NA. Although its quite a good car I have orderded a T which is coming in a few weeks. The only problem with the T is $1200 more for insurance and you have to use premium unleaded. The 182 isnt bad but my previous car was a skyline and I found myself pushing the car too much to get the most out of it. I was craving the G forces that the NA dosnt have.

• Member For: 21y 1m 27d
How do people compare the XT V8 to the T?

Hi Geeseman

The 220kW V8 engine is Ok, but you'll be pouring heaps of money into an XT (in the form of factory options) to get an equivalent level of features....

ie cruise control, sports suspension, limited slip differential/traction control, 17" wheels etc

Forget trying to buy the V8 without the suspension and wheels, 'cause you obviously want a performance car... And unless you're in the habit of making regular donations to the government, the cruise control is pretty handy as well...

The V8 is very advanced, and the torque is "on tap" whenever you need it, but you'll have trouble getting it to the ground - you can option the TC or the LSD (but not both - which come as standard with the turbo), but that's more $$$ and still doesn't get you the same level of safety. You also get 4 channel ABS with the TC on the XR6T - only avaliable on the XT if you get TC (I think).

The XR6T also has a definate weight advantage over the V8, and that results in better handling characteristics... The recent Motor magazine showdown, stated that the XR8 was hampered by a "huge, high and heavy wedge of V8 hanging over its front cross-member". While the single overhead cam 220kW V8 isn't as heavy as the XR8 donk, it's still heavier than the straight 6, and this translates to less precise handling. Oh, did I mention that the XR6T ranked 1st out of 9 aussie muscle cars in the Motor magazine review. :D

You'll also be looking at a Herrod exhaust for the V8 pretty soon, as the standard exhaust is very "refined", and what's the use of having a V8 under the bonnet if you can't enjoy it! :nod:

I'm pretty sure that the 17's (225/50 R17) on the XT are also a bit narrower than the standard 17" rims that come with the turbo.

Look at the figures, do the sums, you're going to end up paying $$$$$ for an XT, that will still only recoup the base resale of an XT when you go to sell it. :nod:

Not to mention the other goodies that come with the turbo, like the premium sound option, the insanely wide (permanent) grin, and the envy of everyone else on the road, at work, etc :thumbsup:

In short, go for the turbo, you will NOT regret it ! B)

P.S. To answer your question about extra maintenance costs associated with the XR6T, the only item that comes to mind is extra oil/filter changes. The oil in the T is doing lots, lubricating/cooling the turbo, acting as hydraulic fluid for the VCT actuators, a few people I know of are adding an extra oil change at 5,000km or 7,500km intervals - the consensus is that 15,000km is alot to ask of an oil in this enviromnent. As they say - oil is cheap, engines aren't... A few $$ for some preventative maintenance isn't much to suffer considering the fun that this car can deliver!

• Member For: 21y 4m 24d

Upgraded wheels, sports suspension and I think LSD come standard when you option the V8 with an XT, its all part of the package and you can't get the V8 without them. I drove an early build XT V8 I got to bring home from work and was very impressed with it. Its not as good as my BA XR8 but had plenty of low down and mid range grunt and it put its power down very well from what I remember. Just needed more revs and a beefier exhaust note.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 23d

Awesome post, twinxrs, thanks :D

Venom XR6 - Interesting about the sports suspension and extras on the V8 XT.

I have a XT 6 quoted with the sports suspension/rims pack they are doing now and it was 38K on road. It seems that the V8XT should be around 42 on road, so its around 4K for the engine.

Hmm. Hard to decide which to get.

If I get the XR6 I'll never live down not having the Turbo.

If I get the turbo, well its expensive and chews fuel (according to some posts recently :D). I'm also worried that the insurance for the T will jump as soon as some hoons take a dive off the road in it.

Ive been quoted 600 bucks a year for comprehensive on the V8XT and 950 on the T, so there are savings to be made.

Does the T hammer that much harder than the XTV8?

cheers.

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 26d

Geeseman,

The Ford turbo runs low boost... 5 to 6 lb; half that of a rex, and lower compression ratio and should be very reliable. The Ford T is my eight turbo car in 21 years, and I've yet to blow up an engine. You'll have to double or triple the boost to cause major dramas, and those dramas are usually drivetrain before engine.

If you never fiddle with it then I'd expect no engine problems whatsoever, but the temptation to increase power is like Adam in the garden of Eden.

The real issue for many people is the extra ripoff charge of the insurance companies, but don't let that stop you.

Go the turbo.

Brian