How Much To Custom Tune

rs2000

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 9m 5d

no. tunehouse was to scared to tune my turbo converted b/a... they didnt want to do the conversion nor tune it.. so theres no point taking your car to ppl like that.

Scared has nothing to do with it.

Tunehouse have tuned a multitude of cars.

I don’t know the background to this case, but I’ll give you some general thoughts around this, as my first turbo project was in 1982 when I had 2.6L Sigma converted from n/a to turbo, and I have been involved in many projects over the years.

When taking on one-off projects there are a number of considerations that have to be taken into account, and ultimately it is a business decision.

A good workshop should want a successful outcome for any project, and assess the risk of taking on something that other workshops have already had a go at, or the effort involved in doing a new type of project and whether or not they have been done before.

If it has been taken on before, and found to be uncommercial or too much hassle, it may not be done again.

If the project type is likely to be repeated with other customers in the future, and potentially profitable, then it is more likely to be taken on. If it is a one-off, then there are many risks associated with the project in terms of cost estimates that may not be acceptable to the customer.

When projects are done for the first time it is often the situation that the customer will not be charged for every hour spent on the project, as the workshop will write off a certain amount to R&D, so basically that becomes a co-funded project.

For a busy workshop such as Tunehouse they also have to balance the workload across the various types of work, which includes the car servicing side of the business, dedicated tuning, and car upgrade projects. There is a limit to the number of concurrent projects that can be taken on, and believe me workshops hate pushing cars in and out of workshop premises every day. There is always a preference for shorter turnaround projects. With conversion projects of older cars, there is always issues regarding sourcing parts, or if the parts are second hand, that they are suitable. Project delays in sourcing parts are always taken into consideration.

Tunehouse will take on projects. I have a STi project with a new Cosworth engine being retrofitted into an older STi., with some challenges along the way in regards to special parts being made.

Projects are not done just to do someone a favour. Like any other type of business, workshops have the right not to take on work. They may not reveal all their reasons.

I’d be more concerned about any workshop that blindly took on work without proper assessment. I know Tunehouse are probably fussier than others, but their focus is more aligned to having successful and quality project outcomes, and more regular projects such as kit and parts installs and engine swaps.

Brian

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 21y 4m 16d

its got more grunt after a tune

dyno sheet states it has more power, but these vehicles are still pretty heavy so with the increase I have seen it has meant it responds better at lighter throttle opening's and has improved the midrange which certainly helps with overtaking.unfortunately I have seen a increase in fuel consumption which has increased to 11.8 avg per 100 klicks after a reset and doing close to 800 kays of driving, prior to my custom tune I had averaged 10.8 lts/100 k's after 95 hrs of drive time.

• Member For: 21y 4m 16d

I have booked in today for a set 4490's(pacemakers) metal cat & 2.5" mandrel exhaust.

I have the car back at the exhaust shop today after recently having a redback exhaust system fitted, I am trying to have the droning reduced or eliminated by having a 15" resonator fitted prior to the centre muffler as I am finding it very intrusive when in the 1500-2000 rpm rev range.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 8m 19d

Last time I was @ Tunehouse they were about to tune a Forester that had a WRX engine put in it. The guy that owns it done a backyard engine swap and the conversion looked like s*&t. The computer was also an aftermarket one with wiring everywhere and they still took the job on. I find it hard to beleive that they wouldn't tune your BA N/A to Turbo conversion mate. Why would they be 'scared' ??? Have a good read around the forum and check out their reputation, I'll think you'll find you're on your own with this one :spoton:

.. edited this post

YES they are excellent tuners and u are correct.

Edited by zayd687

• Member For: 14y 8m 19d

I have the car back at the exhaust shop today after recently having a redback exhaust system fitted, I am trying to have the droning reduced or eliminated by having a 15" resonator fitted prior to the centre muffler as I am finding it very intrusive when in the 1500-2000 rpm rev range.

resonators will make your car slower?

straight throughs are good to go for performance... is it mild or stainless steel?

• Member For: 15y 12d

hey guys

What do you all think of Intune Motorsport? I have searched the forum and read mixed reviews, albeit alot of them are 2-5 years old so no doubtly alot has changed since the "blowing up of engines" was mentioned.

I have spoken to John and he certainly seems to know his stuff. I only plan on doing one custom tune so I want THE BEST there is regardless of price as I want the most power out of my car.

Most appreciate the advice

Cheers

Phil

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 14d

The thing is they all sound like they know they stuff, but the problem is a lot most actually don't.

Don't have any personal experience with them but I believe they are the guys who tuned a friends car and from what I picked up between the lines a lot of BS.

Edited by dule

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 11d

hey guys

What do you all think of Intune Motorsport? I have searched the forum and read mixed reviews, albeit alot of them are 2-5 years old so no doubtly alot has changed since the "blowing up of engines" was mentioned.

I have spoken to John and he certainly seems to know his stuff. I only plan on doing one custom tune so I want THE BEST there is regardless of price as I want the most power out of my car.

Most appreciate the advice

Cheers

Phil

Danger Will Robinson farking Danger. Bloke can tune eights. Granted .Take your T there at your peril.

If John wants to sue me he can try, Plenty of witnesses. next

Go to CV or Tunehouse

BTW Nice post Brian. Just a shame I am lacking in intelectual rigour