Bf2 Sways At Speed

GreyXR6_Turbo

• Member For: 16y 14d

Gday all

Just coming up to holidays, I noticed that when I accelerate up a hill will turning to the left, the rear end sways badly, and feels like I have a flat tyre! Ford has just performed one of their in depth services (not!), and claim that one of my control blade bushes had collapsed!. This was replaced under extended warranty. They also have said that one of my 'rear lower control arm bushes' (RLCA) had excessive play. They didnt have the time to replace it they claim.

On driving home, I noticed that the problem was still very apparant. On getting home, I crawled underneath and had a feel of the drivers side 'RLCA'. It could twist it maybe 15 degrees max. I have also taken some pictures of the other control blade bush they didnt replace! Is this within Ford tolerances? PC070165.jpg To me it seems the bush is collapsed, as the pin which goes through the bush is not concentric with the bush sleeve? Could this be causing my swaying issues? Here is the new bushPC070169.jpg

If anyone has had any similar problems, could you please make some suggestions? It seems I once again have to troubleshoot Ford service problems which I am paying them to find!

Cheers

• Member For: 16y 9m 5d

The blade link mount bar (alloy) should definitely be centred (in the vertical plane) in it's bush with no load on it. Look for tears in the rubber as it is majorly voided in std form. Quite useless with the std bush IMO. Much better with a poly bush. That bush only controls the rotational torque load, not lateral roll loads....ie tramp etc only.

I have seen that the RLCA bush does allow a large amount of twist in std form. The question I suppose is how much lateral movement does it allow? If you can twist it that far by hand without disassembling it, I would say it is rooted. The only other thing that can resist twist there is the sway bar link to LRCA joint.

As for the roll, check the sway bar......that it's links and mount brackets are not broken. The above para and the previous sentence may be related??????

Edited by Smoke them tyres

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 7m

I've had both control blade bushes rooted on my car, and the only way I noticed was the crappy ride, knocking and vibrations I could feel in the back end.

Dealer told me the way to tell if a control blad bush was stuffed was if you drive in a straight line and go on and off the throttle lightly, if the rear end skips right, bushes are stuffed.

However, I also had the rear lower inner control arm bushs (the toe adjustment ones) fail. At least Pedders said they were stuffed, but Ford thought not. When driving and turning right, I could feel the car rolling over the back left wheel, and it would wiggle under load. Specially noticable at roundabouts when there was quick weight transfer from side to side. Felt very disconcerting.

Ford swapped them for me anyways, and problem solved. Problem is, its a cradle and diff out job to get them done... Plus an alignment.

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 17d

Mate if you post a message to senna_t on this forum (he monitors this type of thread anyway) he will tell you what the story is. Pat is the suspension Guru for these cars.

If in doubt though, dont go to Ford.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 19d

Definitely a problem with that bush - as smokethemtyres said, the factory bushes are pretty useless - upgrading to polyurethane items will improve traction and reduce any axle tramp - plus you'll never have to replace them...

The "hyme joint" on the lower control arm is a steel style bush - they do regularly become loose - particularly when you live in an area with alot of potholes...

• Member For: 16y 14d

Thanks for all the replies! I was armed properly when I visited my Ford dealer.

The car was dropped in at 8 am in the morning. I showed them the above photos of the blade bushes. They said they would 'have a look at them properly'. On picking up the car at 3pm, they said they replaced the drivers side RLCA (rear lower control arm). They claim the passengers blade bush was within tolerances!

However, on driving home, the car felt and handles like new again!

Cheers!