Driving Brisbane To Melbourne

berzerker

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m

Planning on driving Brisbane to Melbourne over the xmas holidays but im worried that I wont get 98 fuel all way down there.

Anyone done this trip? Which is the best way to go?

Also if I flash in my my 95 tune, and I can only get normal non-premium fuel - will the car be okay if im just doing highway kays and not flogging it?

Thanks guys any info appreciated.

• Banned
  • Member For: 15y 2m 4d

yes you can run lower rating RON fuel just dont put boost into it. then fill up with 98, run that till empty, then refill again, then you should be ok to boost it. It is recommended to flush your tank after running lower ron but meh... ive used 98 when I couldn't find any 100ron and had no issues staying off boost.

most vic pumps have 98 ron no worries. Take a 20L jerry can in the boot just in case. With alot of HWY KMs you will prob get like 600km out of the tank. fill up when over a 1/4 of the tank to be safe.

have a safe trip!

• Brisbanes Resident Detailer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 1d

Hey Mate, have a look at the major servo websites. BP They have trip planners in which you can specify which fuel you want to use. I use had a quick look at BP's and you will have no issues with fuel. Just print the servo locations and fill up as your passing through, even if you have more than half a tank.

• Donating Members

Cheers James! What a handy site.. looks like ill have no issues at all. Ill look into it more and print it out closer to travel time

Satz mine is a BA and yeah its tuned to 98, and also have a 95 tune loaded into the flash box.

And *Beep* yeah ill still be loading a jerry can in the boot just to be sure..

Thanks again.

Edited by berzerker

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 6m 26d

Having done the trip twice in the last 18 months (last one was 6 weeks ago), I can assure you there is 98 fuel all the way up and back, regardless of which path you take.

Whether it be via central NSW (Newell/Goulbourn Valley/Hume Hwys) or the much nicer and scenic route of east coast NSW (Pacific Hwy/Sydney/Hume).

BP have been nice enough to position there servo's in major towns which are within 100km of the range of a Falcon tank.

First trip saw me fill up at Campbellfield, Forbes, Parks for a slight top up, Goondiwindi then Hervey Bay.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Everything in the boot will smell like fuel. Even going down inland and Barry's lane I had no worries with 98. You can always throw a small bottle of octane booster in the boot. Save room and smell.

Edited by XR09

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 7d

Anyone answer Satz's question? Likewise I have had to run through the occasional tank of 95 Ron in my FG and it doesn't appear to make an appreciable difference imo. I suspect some of the guys have their T's specifically tuned to the octane level and this makes sense. As far as I know a stock FG XR6T runs well on both 95 and 98 but below 95 is not recommended. Must say I also don't notice that much difference in performance in mileage or power either between 95 and 98 but I've favoured 98 as it should be 'cleaner' from an engine life p.o.v ....can someone who actually knows (unlike me) elucidate?

• Donating Members

Having done the trip twice in the last 18 months (last one was 6 weeks ago), I can assure you there is 98 fuel all the way up and back, regardless of which path you take.

Whether it be via central NSW (Newell/Goulbourn Valley/Hume Hwys) or the much nicer and scenic route of east coast NSW (Pacific Hwy/Sydney/Hume).

BP have been nice enough to position there servo's in major towns which are within 100km of the range of a Falcon tank.

First trip saw me fill up at Campbellfield, Forbes, Parks for a slight top up, Goondiwindi then Hervey Bay.

Good to know mate, havetn decided which way im going but ill be taking my time and doing it in about 4 days I think. Im in no hurry and want to go the scenic route. Planning on conquering the Great Ocean Road while im there too.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 6m 26d

If you've got 4 days, then you'll have plenty of time for the scenic route.

A suggestion if I may:

Day 1 - Brisbane to Coffs Harbour via Pacific Hwy

Day 2 - Coffs to Sydney via Pacific Hwy and Newcastle Fwy... Newcastle Fwy is awesome, some nice up and down hills and views

Day 3 - Sydney to Eden via Batemans Bay/Princes Hwy... All the way down the South Coast, a very nice drive.

Day 4 - Eden to Melb via Lakes Entrance... The rest of of the South Coast and through a national park.

Day 3 and 4 are my favourites from a drive perspective. Just alot of holidays makers and caravans at that time of year. Plus 98 fuel wherever you stop.

GOR is awesome too. If your not interested in the commercial side of the GOR and dont mind passing Torquay, the best drive to do is Geelong to Lorne via Morriac and Deans Marsh, then onto Apollo Bay, then back to Geelong via Skenes Creek and the Otways Park.

The Torqay to Lorne bit isn't all that interesting and usually full of beach traffic. Lorne to Apollo Bay has the best twisties and most fun. After Apollo Bay the twistes kinda of disappear and its a fairly straight long run into Warnambool.