Power Loss When Hot?

satz

• Member For: 18y 6m 8d

hi

does the FG turbo engine (whether G6ET or XR6T) lose power noticeably when it's hot?

Does this occur mainly because of underbonnet heat buildup when parked hot, or is it mainly because of the outside temp?

I know this is a problem with all turbo cars, to varying degrees, depending on location of intercooler, and also the engine zine, cooling effectiveness and the venting of underbonnet heat (esp when parked)

My Mazda CX7 was bad in this regard, whilst my VW Golf GTI wasn't too bad in the sense that it 'regained' lost power pretty quickly once the car was driving.

• Member For: 13y 10m 6d

Hi mate, I'm only new to this forum but have been playing with these for some time. What you're experiencing is heatsoak. Can come from under bonnet temps and also from the inefficiency of the standard cooler. The factory ECU is sensing a rise in inlet temps and is then making changes to timing and fueling accordingly which will make your car feel more slugish. A larger cold air intake and a decent cooler will assist this graetly. Your VW probably had a more efficient standard intake cooling setup.

• Member For: 14y 4m 28d

As previously said, get a cooler and decent intake. Also your tuner will most likley install a hi flow thermostat and adjust the thermo fans if you get it tuned. I had mine tuned and now it bearly moved above 1/4 and im using the std cooler

• Member For: 21y 1m 15d

You'll never stop the loss of power from hot weather, just reduce the effect. The difference in power between a 10 deg day and a 30 deg day is substantial. As the guys say bigger cooler will make a good improvement.

Benny

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 22d

Yeh the evos do have them standard, so do STI's with their top mounts. Can be pretty handy on mild hot days but did bugger all on the really hot days. After all, the water your spraying still gets bloody hot to.

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 1d

I drove an hour and 20 mins from Calder, plus about 45 mins driving before hand on a 30+ degree day, and near theend of the drive the car would barely chirp 2nd!! Stock coooler gets baaad heatsoak (I was practicing a few launches/changes on the way :bangcomputer: )

Anyways, let it cool down for an hour, the temp dropped to low 20s and the car felt 100% again, so the stock cooler dispers's it quickly I guess.

• Member For: 14y 1d

Yeah my VZ Clubsport does this. Feels like an absolute weapon until you sit in traffic and let the heat build up, then it's gutless, feels probably 20% down on power. Once I get moving and cool air flowing through the motor it's back to normal. Takes probably 5-10mins to cool back down. The stock intake on them is pathetic.