Signs Your Zf Is About To Die.

Rudiger

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 25d

Oh and I talked to Simon about it, my situation with it holding gears is probably due to me giving it WOT then quickly backing off...the box thinks something is wrong (accident ahead etc) or there's a corner ahead so it stays in a lower gear, no cause for concern. Annoying that it won't shift for a few seconds when it does this though, can't wait for the box to be fully cracked!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 16d

My ZF first started complaining by making a whining / whiring noise as it changed from 3rd to 4th. This went on for some months, but gradually got worse and the 3/4 change got longer in time to engage. The next phase was when I booted it it would change down nicely then get to around 4500 - 5000rpm and bang out of gear. First time it happened it scared the crap out of me......thought I'd run over a log or something . This became repeatable under load. So the advice I had was do an oil change and see how it goes. The oil change made no difference, other than suck some money out of the wallet. The solution was a rebuild, which I had done at Kewish. Box has been fine since the rebuild, and is now rated for a fair bit more power. I also have a separate trans cooler as the factory ones are prone to failing and sending water through your box, at around the time you have your rebuild :)

• The Cleaning Dudes Ute
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 7d

Rud, let me know when your getting a rebuild, might try and squeeze a group buy out of Kewish :innocent:

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 11m 11d

Oh and I talked to Simon about it, my situation with it holding gears is probably due to me giving it WOT then quickly backing off...the box thinks something is wrong (accident ahead etc) or there's a corner ahead so it stays in a lower gear, no cause for concern. Annoying that it won't shift for a few seconds when it does this though, can't wait for the box to be fully cracked!

Steve, yeah when you back off real fast it will hold gears for you. To make it change back up a gear just tap lightly on the brakes once :)

• ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 3d

I also have a separate trans cooler as the factory ones are prone to failing and sending water through your box, at around the time you have your rebuild :)

any details on your tranny cooler? do you notice any funny shifting when cold?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 16d

Here's a couple of shots. It sits in front of the fog light to catch air through the duct. The back of the inside plastic cover in the guard has been drilled to promote airflow too.

post-8139-0-15087200-1292414114_thumb.jp

post-8139-0-37881400-1292414094_thumb.jp

There's no funny shifts with the tranny at all when cold. Tunehouse did a custom install using a HI-TEK Trans Cooling System. Jim or Tony would have the details. It looks factory, a great job.

• Donating Members

Cheers mike! Simon mentioned that I think but I forgot which pedal it was and tried the accelerator last time, heh.

• Donating Members

Just found an original posting from 06 when it was being brought in, and it seems the accel is the one to tap after all

GEAR HOLD, FAST OFF THROTTLE (Automatic modes)

Upshifts are Prevented when the throttle position sensor detects the driver has instigated a rapid lift off of the throttle pedal (fast off) and maintains the current gear until the tips in

(reapplies throttle pressure). It also helps Prevent shift busyness in

driver sporty when driving and inhibits the 'running away' feeling when cresting hills.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=43074

Worth a read for anyone who's got the ZF and would like a refresher on it's frills.