Plenums, Do They Run Lean On Rear Cylinders?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Member For: 21y 5m 25d

Modern day tuning technology from Innovate

Innovate Motorsport

The only way to really see what is going on is to datalog the lamda on each cylinder. I have used the Innovate on LC1 and they are a very quick sensor compared to the traditional LS1 Bosch sensor.

Edited by turbotrana

• Member For: 15y 2m 9d

I was having a look around on the net and found this Custom Standard Position Exhaust Manifold Suit 6cyl Falcon BA, BF, FG & FPV models - PerformanceForums

do any of use think it would be worth it if you didn't want to upgrade your turbo and your manifold to a high mount also would it help number 6 cyl or is it just as bad as the standard manifold (sorry I dont know much about exhaust manifold designs)

• Member For: 21y 5m 25d

its hard to answer your question as you have not stated what power levels you are trying to achieve. I think by the sounds of it you should forget about this lean cylinder issue as it really only an issue that you need to pay attention to at very high power levels. If you are looking at just 500rwhp its really not something I would concern myself with. When tuners are sticking a wide band lambda up the tailpipe and using a non load dyno to tune an engine (which most are) then air fuel ratio cylinder balance is not on their radar.There is nothing wrong with that exhaust manifold or what he has written. Its actually quite OK and may provide something,but if you are looking for power gains its usually a case of comparing dollars spent vs horsepower gain comparison and there are many recipes to achieve what you want.

• Member For: 14y 8m 30d

I think some people forget the engineering and very lengthy testing Ford have done themselves. The factory manifold might not look shiny but I bet it works a 100 times better than even some of the high end plenums available. Ford would have done hours of simulation testing before it even made itself onto a vehicle for real world testing.

The xr6t engine may not be putting out 600hp standard but Ford have to warrant the engine for 3 years under some very extreme driving conditions.

something to think about when tossing the factory item in the bin for joe bloe's performance plenum..

• Banned
  • Member For: 15y 3m 13d

I think some people forget the engineering and very lengthy testing Ford have done themselves. The factory manifold might not look shiny but I bet it works a 100 times better than even some of the high end plenums available. Ford would have done hours of simulation testing before it even made itself onto a vehicle for real world testing.

The xr6t engine may not be putting out 600hp standard but Ford have to warrant the engine for 3 years under some very extreme driving conditions.

something to think about when tossing the factory item in the bin for joe bloe's performance plenum..

I agree that the factory unit would have undergone some deep RD from FORD. However, you must keep in mind that FORDS priorities are different to ours. We focus on extracting as much HP from these things, that's it. They have to deal with emissions, noise levels and reliability from the stock items they are using. So your right in saying that the FORD unit would have been designed extremely well, however, it doesn't mean that they were designed with the intention of flowing 600+ HP through it. This is where joe bloe steps in.....

Edited by Redback

• Member For: 15y 10m 16d

yeh but they spent alot of time when it was first released on the el-ef, which was not turboed, why waste money on new moulds when they can use ones theyve all ready got, everthing can be improved on, if not there wouldnt be places like edelbrock etc, if the ford factory got it so right???

• Banned
  • Member For: 14y 3m 18d

well you don't see ls1 breaking rods and there throttle bodies are at the front, know of a couple of guys with factory manifolds and still did rods 5/6. don't like to say but like *Beep* says could it be a surge issue. when I had no surge take and with half a tank or less going up a hill would get a little surging. put surge take in and can go up same hills with less than a qtr and guess what no surge.