2.5 Kg Lithium Starter Battery.

turbotrana

• Member For: 21y 5m 21d

Sorry about the delay. Just got too much on my plate ATM. I have got them running in three cars now for long term testing. They run great. I am still working out packaging which is holding things up. I appologise to those who have expressed interest but once things calm down I will get some more pictures and details and prices for those interested.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have been testing those lithium batteries for quite a few months and they work great. I have put some in my kids little play cars without any battery management other than balancers and they run the battery down till its flat and the battery still seems to still charge up fine.

Whilst however great this battery is, my testing has shown that it cant tolerate engine bay heat. I ran the battery in the engine bay all winter with no problem, but come summer the extreme heat in the engine bay did cause battery issues.

So now I run the battery inside the cabin or in the wheel arch where it is cool.

Whilst I did express an intent to start making a starter battery, if you look on the net now there are quite a few lithium starter batterys beginning to appear, so really there is no interest in me in pursuing this except for my own use.

But although there are a few coming on the market, at the end of the day any lithium battery will have to be located in a cool spot and definately not in the engine bay.

I did have a link for a US lithium starter battery maker but cant locate ATM. If I find I will post.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

I was thinking about installing one behind the seat in my ute I have a cabin tidy. would it be wise to put one in there? and say having a fan to run on it?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 17d

The lithium not liking the heat I think comes down to the charging of the battery whilst hot from what I remember and not just being hot for use like starting, etc.

As far as using one in the cabin LiFe (Lithium Iron) batteries are non gaseous but can swell over time and if used wrongly its pretty exciting to watch in which case you would know to get the fck out of the car as the smoke fumes are poisonous as sh!t but its no different to having it in the boot or front guard, I'm sure the white-grey gas cloud would get to you some how.

If it were me, I would use one in the cabin but to each his own.

turbotrana, try and remember that link mate as I dont want to buy one from just any manufacturer.

Cheers,

Brett

I cranked the lithium batteries over heaps and they never got hot, just mildly warm. I charge the batteries on a 2 amp car battery charger and it doesnt even warm up. I think its more a case of the lithium battery being a sealed battery and when you heat it the liquid inside it leaks or boils and needs to go somewhere.

In winter I would check the battery and it would be pretty hot from normal engine heat radiation, but never any problems. Come summer the heat generated is much much more and I noticed battery leakage on 40 degree hot summer days.