Mild Vs Stainless

Molloy

• Member For: 16y 7m 2d

Theres been alot of talk about Mild steel exhausts vs Stainless steel exhuasts sound wise, with lots of people saying mild sounds better? whats is the reason behind this? Soon I will be purchasing a X-force exhaust system 4inch dump, 5inch cat then 3.5 to the rear all bits stainless steel, however the same exhuast is avalible in mild steel and it is a little cheaper. What are the benefits of Stainless over mild steel and vice versa?

also with the exhaust mentioned above what would its max flow rate be Id say mid 400rwkw?

Thanks guys :icon_ford:

• Brisbanes Resident Detailer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 1d

Stainless can be polished and be some bling for your car, whereas mild has to be coated because it would rust.

• Member For: 16y 7m 2d

Now with the larger dump pipe, how does this affect spool times, will they be faster with the 4inch over the stock dump? and offer better top end power etc? how will it work?

• Brisbanes Resident Detailer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 1d

Think of the dump pipe like you are blowing through a straw, with a larger diameter straw its easier on you. Its the same for the turbine in the turbo pushing the expelled air from the engine into the dump, it has less resistance to work against making it spin up quicker.

• Member For: 21y 5m 22d

I build my exhaust systems with aluminised steel mandral bends for the tube and stainless steel mufflers. Water gets trapped in mufflers so stainless steel is important whereas the aluminised steel is durable and cheap provided there is not a spot where water will sit.

• Suspended
  • Member For: 16y 1m 22d

I have a stainless system on my ute and cos its stainless its probably a ittle thinner so you get alot of noise from the dump pipe, so im told the mild steel is a bit quieter..dont worry about the rusting when it comes to the dump pipe mine is rusted to all sh*t....when the s/steel goes throught hot cold hot cold so many times it will still rust.....if the mild is alot cheap I would say go with that, I only got stainless cos I got the whole system for $1000 brand new/second hand...I usualy just use mild and then spray it with some black or silver heat paint it doesnt rust plus who looks under there anyways...