Zf 6Th Gear Clunk

Robos F6

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 6m 6d

When my BF F6 ZF changes into 6th under load I feel a clunk through the transmission. The only time it doesnt clunk is when I back off the throttle a little, then it changes smoothly. This only happens changing into 6th, no other gear changes.

Any thoughts, maybe its due for a oil change?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m

It could be a worn diff bush, mine does it sometimes too, and ive been told my bush was a bit shagged.

Does the clunk come from rear?

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 13y 10m 27d

Mine also does the exact same thing. Roll off the throttle and let it shift, smooth. Keep just a little bit of load and 'thud'. Seems worse when it's cold and the earlier in the rpm it shifts.

Sounds like it's not an isolated occourance though.

My diff bush is just starting to shag which may be highlighting the issue but I pretty certain it's not the cause.

Yeah it's not tune related, I've flash factory tune back and it's still there. I personally think some of the odd shifting behaviour one gets with these boxes is electronic and possibly lots to do with their 'smarts' (or lack of), ie learning etc, being wrong in some cases. Based off driving/shifting behaviour I don't think reflashing a tune clears what is in the ZF computer either (which makes sense given they (until just this month) can't 'tune' the ZF as such). I'd be keen to find a way where one can clear its memory back to default and go from there but can't seem to find any mention of how. Perhaps only ZF tech or whatever can do this.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 6m 12d

mmm... Ford gave me a new tranmission under warranty when mine was doing this.

The changes in most other gears were intermittantly less than stellar as well, but it was the 5 to 6 shift that was really bad, and it happened 9 times out of 10. Felt like another car tapped my ass end midshift cos of the jolt the shift caused.

The new transmission, and every ZF I've driven, very very occasionally you will feel a very slight pause in the 5 to 6 shift. But no jolt or clunk.

Mines out of factory warranty, still has underwritten extended on it, but I dunno how one would go about making a ZF claim on it. Fighting a loosing battle much? haha