Ba Xrt Intermittent Shudder

ddjjj

• Member For: 14y 2m 24d

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I'm new to forums and I apologise in advance as I'm technically inept when it comes to automotive matters.

I have a BA XR6 turbo with a sever intermittent shudder at medium to high speeds. It has happened 4 times now. While on the freeway the car shudders so severely you think it's going to fall apart. I've had it to the dealer twice. I noticed a leak near the power steering pump and the high pressure hose was replace and the tyres were balanced. It happened again and the dealer said everything looked OK. It happened again today on the freeway and I pulled over and turned off and on the car and drove again at 100 it was fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could course this before the car falls apart.

Thanks in advance ddjjj

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 26d

:blink:

Does it happen when accelerating, braking, or just at a given speed? Does it feel like it's coming through the steering wheel or is it the entire vehicle?

When it happened the other day, it started on the freeway at 100 and even after slowing to 70-80 it still shuddered badly. It seems to be coming through the steering wheel but the whole car shakes. After stopping and turning the car off and on. The car drove at 100 again fine.

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 1m 15d

When you stop, do you pull up your hand brake (like most people do automatically when they come to a complete stop and get out of the car)? And then release the hand brake for when you drove off (well, I know you did that I would hope).

Just that I had a sticky handbrake and it was making a thumping noise at low speeds. Little bit different from you because you said you had it start at high speeds, but I am thinking maybe your handbrake is playing up? :roflmbo:

In the past when the car is slowed to 80 it would go away. This has happened 4 times. When it happened on the weekend it didn't stop at 70-80. This is my wife's car and I haven't been in it when it's happened, so I'm sorry if I don't know all the answers. She has said that the handbrake wasn't on. She called me when it wouldn't go away because she was scared that car was going to fall apart and her voice was shakey on the phone from the shudder, so it was bad. I told her to pull off the road and turn the car off and on. This is the only time she has had to stop. The Ford dealer said the first time we had it in, that this could be air in the power steering fluid. Is this possible?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 2d

It is possible that air is in there but I would not expect it to cause what you are saying on a freeway. Id expect it to cause you issues when using half to full lock and going slow like in a carpark situation.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help ya out, im interested to hear what fixes it thou.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 26d

iv been in a car when this has happened before, its a shocking feeling.

you have to take the ford tech dude for a drive on the freeway and hope it does it while he is in the car. otherwise they are trying to fix something they cannot see, that's why they say theres nothing wrong! good luck.

What was wrong with the car you were in? our problem is very intermittent and has only happened 4 times.

Edited by RHR
No need to quote above post. USE FAST REPLY