Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion

senna_T

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 11d

from there info on face book what a laugh.

SCT's mission is to be the very best at what we do. Customer Support is the reason why we have the largest network of Custom Tuning Dealers in the World. Besides world class customer support, our software/hardware actually does what is advertised. Dealers know that when they have a question, they can get a answer from us. Our expert calibration team leaves no vehicle untuned, and no problem unresolved. SCT dealers and customers have come to trust that what we promote, works. SCT spends considerable time testing every product we sell on both the dyno and on the street. We often turn down opportunities to develop or sell other profitable products because we do not believe in them or because we know from our experience that they will not work as advertised. SCT would rather not sell something to our customers that is a waste of money or has not been proven to be worthwhile.

Ian

• Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 9m 22d

Customer support. What a farce. It should read:

SCT's mission is to be the very best at what we do. Customer Support is the reason why we have the largest network of Custom Tuning Dealers in the World. Besides world class customer support, our software/hardware actually does what is advertised. Dealers know that when they have a question, they can get a answer from us. Our expert calibration team leaves no vehicle untuned, and no problem unresolved. SCT dealers and customers have come to trust that what we promote, works. SCT spends considerable time testing every product we sell on both the dyno and on the street. We often turn down opportunities to develop or sell other profitable products because we do not believe in them or because we know from our experience that they will not work as advertised. SCT would rather not sell something to our customers that is a waste of money or has not been proven to be worthwhile.**

**The above does not apply if you currently live in Australia, or somewhere else where we feel we need to f*ck over our customers who paid their hard earned money in order to get back at someone else. Please be aware this could apply to you at any time and you may need to buy our latest product to be able to tune your car again. This is how it is, if you don't like it, please go and get f*cked, we do not care.

• Abuser of Charvels

God, I hate them soooooo much. If I ever visit the States I will be wanting to pay them a visit so I can [bleep] and [bleep] and [bleep] them.

• Abuser of Charvels

Just found out what the change in functionality Sony made to the PS3. It could previously run other operating systems and run as a computer. They disabled it with an "optional" update. Yeah, optional unless you want to play online etc....

Anyhow, here's a link to a guy suing them for disabling this function, as it's the primary reason he bought it, much like us with the Xcal boxes.

Gamer takes on Playstation | Adelaide Now

He's asking for $800, maybe we should ask for $1000, $800 to cover the new box and $200 for damages? This sounds too easy, who would represent SCT in Australia, Herrod? Anybody know anything about this stuff?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 3d

I just added a complaint on the ACCC site. The more the merrier.

As everyone has already stated. The device was purchased as a match to my BA Falcon. The computer in my car nor the Xcal 1 has changed, they are still able to communicate in 2010 just like they did in 2006 when I bought it for $900. SCT stuffed up allowing 5 cars to be allowed on each box, they did not protect their investment, who owns 5 cars??? That is their silly business decision, but now they are trying to fix their mistake by turning them all off.

I would be happy for SCT to compromise on this. I propose that they update the firmware on the Xcal 1 so that it is locked to one car and one car only period, also that the Xcal1 can ever be unlocked for use on another car. That way, if you buy a new car without a box, you need to buy the latest model Xcal, I think this to be fair. This is how they should have marketed the product in the first place to protect their investment. Obviously, if you are allowed 5 cars, people are going to on sell them once their purpose is finished.

I would urge others to spend 5 minutes to lodge a complaint, nothing may come of it, but at least you have made an effort and done the best we can to get a fair deal, even if it is a compromised deal at that. At the end of the day, whether what they have done is illegal or not is not for you or I to decide, the ACCC will decide that. But they need to hear some voices to pursue it.

• Abuser of Charvels

Does anybody have any knowledge on using the Magistrates court like this guy did? Looking at the ACT system here:

ACT Magistrates Court and Tribunals

It looks like it will cost $420 just to lodge the dispute. This guy lodged his for $800, does that mean if he wins all those fees are paid by Sony too? I think it's the case, just not sure.

Might not be too expensive if we all chip in to bring SCT to task.

• Abuser of Charvels

Thanks. What I'm wondering is, did this guy pay around $400 to sue Sony for $800, meaning if he wins does he get $1200 back, to cover the costs? Anybody know? When I have time during the day I want to ring up and find out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 20y 11m 1d

I havent been on the forum for some considerable time and only by accident came across this disgraceful issue regarding the SCT Xcal 1 support.

I bought an Xcal 1 new a couple of years ago but decided not to use until warranty expired on my BFII F6, so no tunes were ever loaded into the box (generic or otherwise)- it is therfore the most I have ever paid for something that has had no value to me and has no value into the future.

Now trying to decide wether to cut my losses or get the $200 cashback and "invest" (and I use that word in jest) in the XCAL 3 - A difficult decision.

Does anyone know any Melbourne tuners that may still have the ability to load tunes onto the XCAL 1?